Virtual Newark - 2020 - Zoom test thread

Discussion in 'Practice Forum' started by spiritburner, Mar 18, 2020.

1. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Being a hundred miles further north, light here too will be with us till after 10pm. As to the zoom, my rural internet connection is so slooow it won’t support a video link, sad but true. So it’ll be a question of posting some photos.

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

I’m supposing that even a virtual Newark won’t just kick off at nightfall. Granted, there’ll be a lightshow then ... and not just for lantern enthusiasts!

5970EFE0-9225-451C-80E0-B190AD051F0E.jpeg

5F329429-86D1-4EF6-BD90-518E13CAF388.jpeg

53F547D7-8671-495C-8232-92B5B31A2BF5.jpeg

3. paparazi

Big Stevie, do you have a phone signal? We have a weekly 'virtual' pub quiz where one member participates on his mobile.
    It's true that the time won't suit all time zones either but as this is a 'virtual' Newark meeting that a start time would reflect that meet.
    The meet could start at any time really, if participants want a couple of hours daylight..whatever...it's fairly easy to post up the access code several hours in advance but the 'host' has to start the meeting and so there needs to be some consensus of what time that will be. My offer is still there but admin may have this already in hand..

Martin

4. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Martin,

Ha! A decent phone signal? You’re having a laugh! If I lived three miles further south there’s 4G.
    What really pi**es me off is that to the north and the south we have high speed fibre, a couple of years ago openreach decided to bring it up the strath from the south. They got as far as a seasonal campsite and a holiday cottage then stopped!
    Our phones are on copper wire to a local relay unit the sent through a dish by line of sight to another unit some miles away, sounds fancy, but in reality is an old set up.
    Once the zombie apocalypse is over I intend having a shout at the Scottish government to see if we can finally get the fibre connection (it was promised to us years ago...).
    If two or three households are online, it’s like dial up, waiting for simple pages to load.
    Now, where are the cocoa tins?

Stevie

5. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

@BigStevie
    What you need is
    ..a cooperative neighbour at the end of the fiber
    ..free line of sight
    .. and a pair of these
    Ubiquiti PowerBeam 5AC GEN2

That will give you up to 450mbits

6. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Members and fellow lampies... another videoconferencing solution here .. you do not need an account and
    just navigate to the website ... and chat away ..rivaling zoom where some security issues have been posed
    recently ... consider.. :thumbup:

Jitsi Meet

good luck

7. bp4willi

@Alby
    Did you see what i wrote 3rd may
    In this thread?

8. Alby

Alby Subscriber

:thumbdown: Ok all good. :)

9. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

If Zoom is used, will it be possible to simply view the proceedings without otherwise taking part?

A group I'm associated with held a virtual steam rally last Saturday on Facebook. By doing it that way, folk could be spectators and other folk could be exhibitors. As a spectator, it was just like the real thing except the fish and chips were peculiarly tasteless. Trevor wouldn't have enjoyed them either... :(

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  10. paparazi

David, once your device (phone/tablet or laptop) has 'joined' the meeting, it's image (what the device is pointing at) is added to a tile of other displayed images. The fewer participants, the larger the image tiles are, and the more people that join the smaller the image tiles become up to around 9 (from memory) desperate tiles, any extras don't show. However, their image activates and displays as they communicate. The sound from their output prioritizes that person's image, and automatically puts a halo around their image. To answers David's original question..of course you can just sit there watching the interactions but I would make several suggestions, one is; the bigger your device the better as this will mean you will be able to see more participants and larger clearer images and two, to TRY and talk one at a time as the software prioritizes the displayed image on who is talking at that point in time. There are also other settings controlling audio and display types..but to be honest, it can be left to do it's thing in the main and works very well.
    Martin

11. David Shouksmith

Well, if anyone's interested, here's the link (except it hasn't come up as a link!) for the virtual steam rally held last Saturday:-

#TwitterSteamRally - 9th May 2020

Despite the # and the word Twitter, it's on Facebook. ](*,)

It struck me at first that we could do something similar (in conjunction with the Zoom group, I hasten to add) but I quickly realised that we could do exactly the same thing here. We'd need another 'Virtual Newark' thread only for the day itself and folk could post their stuff of the actual day only. So, stick up your tent in the back garden, cook your breakfast/lunch/dinner, have a few bevvies, light your lamps and stoves, do a bit of fettling, have a display etc., etc. - whatever we normally do at Newark - and post pix and videos of your activities on the thread of/for the day.

In any case, I'll start off 'the day itself' thread and if people run with it, fine, and if they don't, also fine... 8]

12. bp4willi

Good idea David.

13. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

Important Notice
    Please begin updating all your clients to Zoom 5.0 now. After May 30, 2020, all Zoom clients on older versions will receive a forced upgrade when trying to join meetings as GCM Encryption will be fully enabled across the Zoom platform. Click here for more information.

14. David Shouksmith

If only I knew what a client was - and GCM Encryption... ](*,)

Thanks, but please don't try to explain, anybody - my head will probably explode... =; :) 8]

15. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

Just take it that it's best to run the upgrade prior to trying to join after 30th. Dunno how long it takes but if it's a while it could be inconvenient. Maybe alright on the 30th but with different time zones some of us may be affected.

16. David Shouksmith

Zoom - include me out! =;

I'm 70 next Thursday so officially too old for any more computer shenanigans... :D/

17. paparazi

Oh David! If you can get a Veritas Superb going....lol. you literally go to the app store on your phone, download and install the Zoom app (it is free) press join a meeting, type in the code that Spirit Burner puts up and press join.
    What else would you be doing? 10 minutes..honestly.

18. David Shouksmith

I downloaded the app some weeks ago when the idea of a virtual Newark was first suggested. However, having seen how things have gone with it and similar apps, I doubt I'll ever use it. Here are two extracts from a humorous email I received yesterday - the rest is on my Facebook page, supposing anyone's interested. :p 8]

Blue Skype thinking - A work brainstorming session which takes place over a videoconferencing app. Such meetings might also be termed a “Zoomposium”. Naturally, they are to be avoided if at all possible.

The elephant in the Zoom - The glaring issue during a videoconferencing call that nobody feels able to mention, e.g. one participant has dramatically put on weight, suddenly sprouted terrible facial hair or has a worryingly messy house visible in the background.

Depending on the weather, of course, on the 30th May, I'm still intent on erecting a tent in my back-garden and using my lanterns and stoves during the course of the day... :D/

19. Alex74

Alex74 United Kingdom Subscriber

Just noticed that Zoom only allows 40 min call time if more than 2 participants access a meeting. I suppose we just re-dial in after that?

20. paparazi

Alex,
    Ross came up with the idea months ago and it only took a few days before 'Zoom' or other similar app was suggested.
    I mentioned the limitations of FREE Zoom a couple of months ago, I even volunteered to host with the full pro version (which incidentally I can't do anymore as I'm hosting my wife's 60th Zoom quizz) but in the absence of comments from Ross, I guess he must have everything in hand and sorted for Saturday?
    I'm going to have to put two hats on and flit between my own and this zoom event, I eagerly await the code going up on Saturday to join in with the fun, although I will be an absent participant for half of the time.
    Martin

21. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

Ok - another test session - we did one on CCS a couple days back. Went well but dunno how it'll work with a load of us on. I'll be leaving the session open all day for Newark but still recommend folk chat & post picks here too. Having to use the networked PC in the house as the host & join myself as a guest on another device in workshop or outside. If I'm not there chat amongst yourselves! I'll be around somewhere. Multi-tasking not my strong suite!

This is on the premium version. Happy to take advice from any regular users.

Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting now

@paparazi
    @Alex74

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  22. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

Session is still open but I'm away from screen at moment

23. David Shouksmith

What's the password?

24. David Shouksmith

I managed to find out how to switch on my camera and microphone but, now, apparently my browser is not supported...

25. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@David Shouksmith

I think we saw you trying to get in. I didn’t use a password so I assumed it was automatically set in the link posted by Ross.

What browser are you using?

Jeremy

26. David Shouksmith

Edge...

I managed to avoid the password by going in through my browser - which then got spat out. I could see you but not hear you. I had to switch on my camera and microphone and allow apps to access them. Oh, and peel the sticker off my camera lens - I placed it there years ago when I first got my 'puter.

Who was it said it was a 10 second job? Bah! :evil:

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  27. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi David

That’s a new one on me, just had to look it up! I use a privacy browser which has no tracking and selling of info called DuckDuckGo which seems to be working ok if a bit clunky! May be worth trying another browser such as this or Mozilla Firefox.

Jeremy

28. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

you can install windowsZoom app or just force it use browser. No password needed.

I'll leave it open for a few more hours - won't be there all the time though. Got orders to get out & fixing part on lads bike

29. David Shouksmith

I've got DuckDuckGo on this 'puter but rarely use it. However it wasn't one of the browser options I was offered...

30. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

We saw you briefly @David Shouksmith - looked like you were ringing for a takeaway? No audio though.