What fuel your Classic Pressure lamp & stove recommended use?

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by lungshiwu, Mar 24, 2020.

1. lungshiwu

For Taiwan's vaporizing lamp & stove players, the quality of fuel has always been debated.
    If you are willing to share the fuel you use (preferably with photos or purchase links)
    I will really appreciate:-({|=:-({|=:-({|=

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Jet A1 (or JetA if you can get it) for all kerosene lamps.

Pure naphtha (= Coleman fuel) for gasoline lamps.

Cheers

Tony

3. lungshiwu

Thank Tony for your useful information!

4. Tony Press

@lungshiwu

If you can’t get Jet A1, get the best grade kerosene you can.

Tony

5. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

I use barbeque lighting fuel in my kerosene apparatus, and I buy it cheap in an outlet near here.
    For my gasoline/Coleman fuel items I use alkylate gasoline. There's not much difference between different brands, but I often buy the brand Aspen since I have it available on a pump just fifteen minutes drive away.
    Ethanol is free as leftovers at work, so that will fuel my alky stuff.

6. MYN

Whatever kerosene I could buy from the local hardware or any other shops around. All of them rather 'crudely' labelled as kerosene and expected to be 'trusted' as so. MSDS would never be made available in any form. That's for kero lanterns/stoves.
    Jet Fuel is totally unavailable for non-aviation applications.
    Best alternative for my case on the above: mineral spirits.
    As for CF/naphtha fueled units, just plain unleaded petrol from any pumps. Neither CF nor napthth is available to the general public here.

7. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Can you tell us , please, more about the background of this debate ?

What is wrong with gasoline, kerosene and acohol ?
    I mean my brand at my local store would not be available at any other foreign store (most likely).

8. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

You might find a suitable naphtha sold as a cleaner for brakes or as a panel de-greaser. Both are automotive cleaners and universally used by garages and auto paint shops. ::Neil::

9. lungshiwu

In Taiwan, there is a dispute that we do not trust the quality of our kerosene (although it has been compared to the standard of ASTM 1-K) and believes that if kerosene is used in classical pressure lamps, there will be excessive temperature and carbon deposition.
    Under this controversy, Taiwan ’s lamp fans in the subtropics often dispense fuel by themselves (kerosene + naphtha / kerosene + thinner / kerosene + gasoline / diesel + gasoline) in order to ensure that these old guys can run normally.

But this made me quite curious:
    A>> 1-K kerosene really different from British C1 kerosene, German Petroleum or Swedish fotogen?
    B>> What was the correct fuel for these classical lamps at the long time ago?

10. MYN

Well, I was hoping to find some in these. But nope, they're not. Most of those available here contains acetone, toluene and other stuffs. Perhaps only the Holtz brake cleaner is naphtha-based but only available in small aerosolized cans.

11. MYN

My 2 cents worth:-
    A>> They certainly differ a little from place to place, depending on the sources of petroleum and the refineries involved.
    B>> Plain old kerosene, I suppose. But I'd say even back in the old days, those would differ considerably between localities.
    For gasoline-powered ones, the original fuel would be straight-run gasoline aka 'white gas'. Very different from the gasoline we get nowadays.

12. Tony Press

@lungshiwu

In the "old days" the recommended fuel for kerosene lanterns and lamps sold in Australia (for example, Tilley and Coleman) was "lighting kerosene". "Lighting kerosene" was standard, good quality kerosene. It was sold by "Shell; "BP" (British Petroleum), "AMPOL", "AMOCO" etc. What is sold in Australia today as kerosene is essentially the same, except that most of the kerosene is imported as Jet A1.

IMAGE 25-3-20 AT 4.13 PM.jpeg

Today you can buy "Diggers" kerosene in Australia. It is the same as the "old" kerosene.

For "gasoline" lanterns and lamps, what the Americans call "white gas" was sold and used. It was made for lighting by various companies, but the most commonly available "Shellite". Shellite is naphtha. It is still available today (also sold as Recosol).

IMAGE 25-3-20 AT 4.26 PM.jpeg

I use Jet A1 for kerosene equipment, and Shellite for gasoline.

Tony

13. M.Meijer

You seem to collect these nice containers as well, Tony? Love 'm! Mike

14. Tony Press

Mike, I don’t collect them — they wouldn’t fit anywhere! Those are “public domain” photographs.

Tony

15. george

george United States Subscriber

I been laboring under a misconception here: I thought "white gas" was nothing more than unleaded gasoline... All other gas was "leaded". Years ago (50+ years) leaded gas was used in all motor vehicles because it was one of the only ways to get lubrication to the valve stems and valves. Now, because of the materials used to make valves the "leaded" gas is not necessary. Leaded gas is a cancer causing element anyway, so this is one of main reasons for getting rid of it in gasoline.
    ???