What is normal for a Tilley control valve?

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Troy Millman, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Troy Millman

I've never had a Tilley lantern before, in fact I've never even seen one in person before I bought one online.

After a quick cleaning, replacing the usual seals it is now working great and runs for hours but I wanted to double check how the control valve is supposed to work:

I have to open it all the way counter clockwise to get it to light.

But if I leave it all the way counter clockwise it will go out in a few minutes.

So I quickly figured out if I turn it back clockwise almost to the click that turns if off - then it runs for hours, holds pressure perfectly etc.

My question, is this normal and how they should work?

Again, I'm in the USA and have never even seen one before, there are not many around.

Attached Files:

2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

It's an X246B so the control is an alloy type which were never the best engineered product. They are supposed to work full open. So all the way anti clockwise to open and all the way clockwise to operate the pricker. However some of these are a bit too restrictive so they partially close of the fuel flow and it sounds like you have a suspect valve. I have found a very few of these valves that won't pass fuel at all. I cured at least one by removing the spring and valve and drilling a small hole through the inner plug so it passes fuel but will still operate the pricker. Drastic but otherwise scrap and it worked. Tilley lamps actually don't need a shut off valve anyway so doing this does not affect peformance. ::Neil::

3. Troy Millman

Thanks so much for the information!

4. Mackburner

I deplore the poor engineering of these later Tilley lamps especially the alloy fittings. To keep it authentic you need to retain these cheap and nasty parts but for a reliable user lantern some folk replace the valve and pump with the older brass fittings. ::Neil::

5. Troy Millman

I'll keep working with it, it ran last night for like 4 hours once I figured out to wiggle the valve and keep it set in the in almost closed position. It looks like there are brass valves on e-bay if I need to go that route. I can look at a coleman or prentiss wabers or even a petromax and see what is wrong with it right away and clean it up and have it working just fine in a couple of minutes most of the time. But this tilley is totally new to me.

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

This link shows an interesting topic and a Tilley X-246-B lantern which has been improved by fitting older parts to it, the lantern photographs are at the bottom of the page.

The jet on your Tilley vapouriser may be slightly enlarged.

Nighttime tours at Fort Liezele

7. Troy Millman

Thanks Jeff, that looks pretty easy to fit the older valve etc to it. The alloy pump is working great yet so I'll keep my fingers crossed on that. Sure is a cool looking lantern, I like it a lot already, and will have the only one around.

8. Mackburner

If you do look at brass valves be aware there are two types and the one for the 1950s lanterns won't fit. Your lantern has a 1/2" BSB thread which is the same as on pre 1946 lanterns and all the table lamps. The late 1940s and 1950s lantern valves have a bush which is so you can alter the clocking of the control knob and both bush and valve have a larger different thread. Also be careful with pumps. They come with either internal or external threads.

Compared to Coleman and Petromax Tilley are blindingly simple to take apart and fettle. No adjustments are possible and all the parts were designed to be fitted without tools.

::Neil::

9. Troy Millman

It has been out there running for a couple hours tonight. Nice and bright, holds pressure and runs for hours. Just needs the valve open just a crack, if you open it all the way it goes out. I might leave well enough alone for now as long as it is working so well. I’ll take it camping this weekend and see how it goes.

Attached Files:

10. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Troy Millman I reckon you got this one by the short and curlies. It's running well and the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" could apply here.
    Enjoy your lamp.
    Cheers
    Pete