What's inside a Nulite lantern Generator?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Steven Lave, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Steven Lave United States

I'm working on a recently acquired Nulite No. 5 lantern and have what appears to be the original umbrella-type generator on it. I can see that there is a screen inside of the generator tube, near the bottom, however, I can't see light through the generator with the tip removed. Anybody know what's inside of the generator? I'm wondering if I need to remove the screen and clean out whatever is in there, similar to what you'd do on a Coleman Q99 generator.

Here's what the generator looks like:
    Nulite_Gen.JPG Gen_Patent_Date.JPG

2. Anthony

Anthony Australia Subscriber

Try this
    I had a skim through it but may have missed something.

Attached Files:

3. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

They are packed with asbestos so even new you can't see through the tube. With a well used generator you may have to drill out and replace the old packing because they choke up with carbon and eventually restrict gas flow to the gas tip. ::Neil::

4. george

george United States Subscriber

This was Nulite's answer to the Coleman Q99. One lit match held under that little "umbrella" and that's all you needed. It will, when not stopped up, lite as fast as a Q99 generator.

5. Cliff Ward

Cliff Ward United States Subscriber

You might be able to burn out the carbon buildup on inside with a propane torch, but I suspect mechanical cleaning may be in order.

6. Steven Lave United States

Thanks for the information. I think I'll give it a soak in an ultrasonic cleaner (to keep the asbestos fibers wet) see if I can remove the screen and then first try a shot of compressed air to see if I can blow out the packing. If not, then maybe on to some heat and quench cycles and possibly drill it out. Finally, maybe use a Zippo wick for replacement if the packing is really bad. Thanks for all the info.

7. dwillie United States

If you can blow through it from the bottom with the jet removed its good. Prick the jet, and it will work. I wouldn't mess with it if it works, but I think they are repoping them.

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Old Coleman Parts has a reproduction Nulite generator with the umbrella.

Cheers

Tony

9. Steven Lave United States

Well . . . success! I soaked it in the ultrasonic cleaner and alternated with heat-quench cycles. I was able to remove the lower screen, but the packing didn't come out when using compressed air. So, I used a twist drill-bit gripping the bit with pliers and it grabbed the packing and I was able to remove it. There is also an upper screen which I didn't expect and pushed it out with a piece of copper wire. The packing was falling apart and I'm thinking that as it continued to deteriorate it might have continually clogged the generator tip, or possibly the built-up carbon, so I'm satisfied with my choice to get it all cleaned out. In the photo you can see the old packing and the new Zippo lighter wick I plan to use as a replacement.

Thanks for the information.

Nulite_5_Cleaned_Gen.JPG

10. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Maybe copper mesh as a new packing is also a good replacement.

11. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

I'd be interested in seeing how the Zippo wick performs.

12. george

george United States Subscriber

Me, too!

13. Steven Lave United States

It might be a while before I get it all back together. The lantern is missing one burner tube and the burner cap, so I plan to attempt to machine a new cap to look like the original that was still on the lantern. But, I will post something once it's complete.