What's your top 3 and why?

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Big BTU, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Big BTU

Dan's comment about his new Vapalux's have me curious.

What are your favorite 3 lanterns and why?
    Mine are;

1.Coleman 237 what a bright beast. I love the light and I especially love the Coleman Check valve!

2. Petromax 821 Original Baby. It's a beauty and I love the engraving.

3.Britelyt, will burn anything you throw into it and well thought out oh yeah darn brite too!

2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Unless they've recently changed the NRV from 'kerosene technology' to something more appropriate, I'd be very wary about burning gasoline and Coleman-type fuels in it. Otherwise, check and replace that rubber NRV pip frequently.

My top three:-

1. Anything made by Willis & Bates or Bairstows
    2. Tilley before, say, the mid '50s
    3. Coleman 201
    4. Handi Kero-pet
    5. Earlier Coleman lanterns

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

My favourits so far are;
    on N°1 my Coleman 286 (CL1) as it is easy, very user-friendly & reliable. I like the fact there is the possibility to select a "high" and "low" light output. Very closelly followed by
    N°2, another Coleman, the 220H RonPH so kindly gave me. It is also very user friendly and throws out a lot of light.
    N°3 would be my Tilley X246B, dunno why some seem to have a dislike for these! Ok, they are not brass etc., but mine works OK, does all it has to do, for hours on end if needed.
    I also like the Petromaxes and clones thereof (like my Phillips made in India, really "cheap" quality, but it does what it has to do, won't last as long as 'the originals' but I am also over half-way of my lifespan, so we'll 'go out' together I'spose :roll: :content: ).

Best regards,

Wim

4. leo

leo Germany Subscriber

Hi!
    My favourite 3 lanterns are:
    1: my Petomax 250ch/cr , a selfmade lamp like the PX from the swiss Army. It works perfect every day.
    2: Hasag 551 , works with less than 0,4bar bright and without any noises.
    3: Petromax 822 Tablelamp . Just a wonderfull lamp.

1316863927-P1030329.JPG 1316863968-551_02.jpg 1316863983-822_01.jpg

Attached Files:

5. rbhodges

I would give No.1 to any of the 200 or 1200 series optimus lanterns. they compact, brite, and well made. No.2 would go the coleman 242 a compact and very well made lantern, though not as brite as my 200p or 1200B. No.3 could be my Vapalux M320. Its very well made and works well. Though mine seems a cranky at times.

Rick

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

1. Petromax 829/500cp., lantern, it 's bright and reliable and a great shed lantern.

2. A late 1920s to late 1930s Tilley TL10 table lamp, it's a fine house lamp it 's bright and reliable and it looks grand.

3. A Tilley AL., 620, it's a good outdoor lamp.

7. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

1. Lux Sirius.
    Just because it's a Lux, and no other reason. :mrgreen:
    And as far as I can tell; the only lantern they made.
    1284403755-sirius2.jpg

2. Primus 1020.
    It was the no.1 workhorse in Sweden even decades after the late fifties when it was taken out of production.
    1288114719-Primus_1020_AV_front.jpg
    (This picture is from Nils lantern in the gallery since I haven't posted any of my own yet.)

3. The 327 lanterns from Coleman.
    Who can't but love a lantern as simple, good looking and well working as this one?
    1291832167-lq327_medpump.jpg

These are my choice of lanterns (at this moment).
    I have a completely different list when it comes to table lamps, of course, so perhaps top-3-lamps also could be a topic?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  8. JEFF JOHNSON

3 very smart lanterns Christer! :thumbup:

9. dday

Great topic John,
    My top 3 would have been different a few days ago, but now after burning this lovely English lantern several times:
    1. Coleman 237- as said before powerful lighting and simplicity at its finest.
    2. Military surplus Petromax 829- Awesome lighting and great steel case. Thanks to Bob M for turning me onto these!
    3. Vapalux M320- Nicely constructed, classy and a nice smooth to the eye light. Not too bright and not too dim.

Runner ups would have been the Coleman 249 and Coleman 242 series, but only three so those are my three ;) .

10. furry flivver

Hi all: It is a very subjective topic. For me I would need criteria or categories to go by. There are too many great lanterns out there. If a category was looks,I would probably pick a Petromax. Some of their models are just stunning. If another category was rarity I lean towards the Coleman Arc lantern, however I would need to do some research to find something unusual and quirky. If the criteria was function the choice would be a Coleman 327 with out a doubt, as stated above it's hard to beat for performance, simplicity or reliability, They are not bad looking either. Mike...

11. DaveD

Top three are :

1) 1200 Brass Optimus

2) Coleman 249 Kero burner - brighter than the 1200 and much quieter

3) Coleman 242 Coleman fuel burner - simple and solid well designed lantern

Too close to call were the Coleman 237, Petromax 829/500 and Coleman 228B big hat

Dave

12. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Hard one to call. I have been pondering this and number one is easy as there is nothing ever made simpler and stronger than a Coleman L327 Quick-Lite. It was the other two that gave me trouble. Being a simple minded sort of guy all of the Instant-Lite lamps are too complicated but Coleman early kero would probably be next so 234-247-249.Same lantern really just evolution at work. Third is the Night Hawk for its sheer power and build quality. ::Neil::

13. Big BTU

Some great lanterns in this list. I am a lantern Newbie. What is a Night Hawk Lantern? Are they still available? I like em bright!

14. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello, check out the link below to see a Nighthawk lantern, there is also a version which has a much larger tank, Jeff.

http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/1789

15. Big BTU

Oooh I like it! How much are they and are they still available?

Thanks Jeff!

16. Mackburner

Yes they are made by Jake King for the Amish community in PA I think. Ours were ordered and paid for by Terry Marsh. Henry and I just left a large amount of cash with Terry and he did the deal for us. Had to do that because Jake is not available on the web in any form so no web site or email. All are hand made and there is a waiting list. Henry and I had to wait around 18 months for ours. I don't know what they cost now but you won't see much change from $300. ::Neil::

17. Big BTU

Thank you.

Wow they aren't living in the 1800's price wise are they ?:lol: Are they all brass construction?

Thanks very much,

John

18. dday

Hi John,
    Neil is 100% right in that they are not cheap. I stopped by Lancaster lanterns this summer on vacation and had the pleasure of meeting Jake. I was able to handle the prototypes that he had on hand and he told me that there was a waiting list to get one. He said that he had a few items to work out on it and he expected to be shipping some this fall or winter. The burner assembly was pretty big and from what I recall the majority of the lantern was stainless. Have a good evening,
    Dan

19. Mackburner

Big is right. Not a lantern you would want to carry very far. Jake reckons 1000 cp. Mind you I seriously doubt he has ever tested one and that is based on his using two 500 cp mantles in a massive burner. So far we know Henry's example will do around 650 cp and for all I know perhaps some will do better than that. I know mine will only make around 450 cp but even that is serious when you consider that it is normal for the vast majority of lamps to only make around 50% of their rated power. ::Neil::

20. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

I have to say the 427 Coleman with its built in air pump. Quicklite simplicity but without the extra piece of gear to tag along.

The Optimus 930. What can I say, it's just a quiet, dependable beauty.

Lastly the Petromax 1500. Light, heat, cook if need be.

I have only seen images of the Nitehawk. It's the M1A Abrams of lanterns. I'm curious, what has Jake settled on as a vaporizer type? Is it a Preston ring type? Anything else would be a "parts hog" for burning kerosene.

Bob

21. Mackburner

I have just posted images of my Nite-Hawk here 2006 Nite-Hawk

Shows you the burner is a typical Coleman type cross head with twin mantles. Bigger than a Coleman though to manage the bigger gas flow. ::Neil::

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017