Wunderlampe

Discussion in 'Wunderlampe' started by Lighthouse, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

I have no idea who made this nor where this was made. It's marked 'Wunder' on a plate attached to the bottom of the cage. I suspect it was made in the 20's as it has a similar look to the Quicklites and other lamps from the same period. This has a built-in pump attached to the cage.

I would love to make her run again. I think the NRV is missing at the end of the pumptube and possibly the spirit cup?

1328975605-IMG_3686.jpg 1328975625-IMG_3690.jpg 1328975650-IMG_3691.jpg 1328975685-IMG_3692.jpg 1328975700-IMG_3693.jpg 1328975721-IMG_3694.jpg 1328975745-IMG_3695.jpg 1328975768-IMG_3696.jpg

Thx in advance - Frank.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Nice one Frank.
    I think many details looks like Nulite.
    Especially that umbrella generator, of course, but also other details. Like how the attachment for the bail is very "pinched".

You shall not have any NRV in the loose pump.
    But the tank lid will probably have a little simple check ball inside it. Try and shake the lid, and you will probably hear that loose ball rattle since it's all free, without any spring to seat it. The air pressure will do that during pumping.
    That lid is by the way another detail that looks very Nulite to me! Does the center piece (with the check ball) come loose when you unscrew the screw, giving you three loose parts except for the seal?

Regarding the spirit cup, I don't think there should be one. I assume that this lantern was made for petrol.

3. Carlsson

That pump doesn't look right for this lamp. Or perhaps it's just missing an attachment in the front, because I think it looks to blunt to fit the indent in the lid screw as it looks right now.

4. Lighthouse

Hi Christer,

The tank lid has 3 parts, just like you said. The tank lid itself, the screw to release the pressure and the center piece with the little ball and a seal. Before you edited your post you said I had to put the tanklid in some Actenol to get the little ball free?

From the time I got it I wondered how you get pressure into the tank? I assume this lamp had a built-in pump from the beginning.

What about that little umbrella half way down the tube, does that have a function?

Thanks in advance for the information, Christer.

5. Carlsson

Yes, I wrote that thing about acetone as an addition if you didn't hear the ball when you shook the lid. Acetone is good in dissolving old fuel gunk. I removed that remark since I thought it took the focus of the main issue. Better to add that comment if it turned out that you didn't hear the ball.
    The screw is not for releasing pressure, by the way! This is most certainly a petrol lamp, so you wouldn't want to do that.
    It is just there to seal the lid thoroughly after you pumped the lamp up. That little check ball in the lid is mainly there for the pumping. It doesn't seal 100%, but good enough for the short period of pumping the lantern. After that the screw seals it.
    A lantern with that kind of lid is made for an external pump, so no problems there. The nozzle of the pump shall fit into the indent of the lid screw, though, which your pump doesn't look like it would do.
    Check out the Paraffinalia section, and you will see a bunch of different pumps in a couple of posts there.

If I recall correctly, I have read that the umbrella mainly is there in order to help the match preheating. A similar gizmo as the loop of the Q99 generator for Coleman, perhaps?

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

I have seen the PeeBee as a Nulite Storm King before but not this type which is later and never as a Wunder Lampe. The lamp has the third post and part of the upper globe cage cut away to allow for a reflector but it is possible they also issued it like this. The lamp is certainly made by Nulite in Chicago. Wunder is the brand name of Franz Zimmermann, Hint Präsenzstrasse 1 5/10 Mainz am Rhein, Germany. Either Wunderlampe or Wunder as brand names. Zimmermann did not make lamps but re sold other makes such as Standard, Hasag and obviously Nulite.

The lamp is 300cp gasoline with a match lighting burner so will not have a spirit cup. You need a pump with a ball shaped end. You may be able to find a grease nipple fitting which will screw in to the end of your pump and if you can then just drill out the ball in the nipple and it will pump up your lamp. If not then pumps do turn up on the Bay in the US all the time and they never sell for much money.

Nice lamp. ::Niel::

7. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

You've spelled your own name wrong, Neil... :p

8. Mackburner

Not me David. That is the ktfird. Does it all the time. Somehow the keys move under the fungres and whilst I am a brilliant typost this damn machone keeps trying to make me look a fool. It succeeds now and then as you noticed. ::Neil::

9. Lighthouse

Thx guys - it's amazing what you all know!

I have cleaned up the lamp, but have still kept the industrial patina. Pictures will follow tomorrow. I'll have a look at the pump later this week and fix the pump-lid. This lamp is for sure a petrol one, it has the same device as an Optimus 8.

When were these made? I guess late 20/begin of the 30's. I'm open to any information.

10. Lighthouse

Ok - I've now done some fettling with this lamp. I took an old spare bicycle pump attachment in the front, and it now works good. The pumplid is in a small cup with acetone... so that will be done tomorrow. The only thing I'm unsure about is how to light it. What's the right procedure, to preheat first, then to start pumping a little and then open the valve? Can someone help me with that, I'm unsure what to do?

11. Mackburner

These are a match lighting burner. Idea was you pump up to pressure and then hold a couple of matches under the cup and just before you burn your fingers turn it on. I prefer to do a gentle preheat with a small blow torch flame. Either way they do require pre heat but not much so they are very easy to fire up. I generally give them about half pressure and when the light has settled pump on to full pressure.

So pump it up with valve closed. Pre heat the generator a little and turn the valve on. You may get a litle spluttering but that will settle quickly when you can then pump on. ::Neil::

12. Lighthouse

After today's fettle in the heat while thinking about the tips I've got, to me it seemed as if I was missing a part. I took the tanklid apart for the millionth time, and then it got to me, how stupid, I had to fit a second washer. I already had one for the check ball, but another one won't hurt. Anyway, I put it together, cleaned the burner tube, took out the asbestos string, pricked the jet, fitted a mantle, and tried it:

Although it doesn't burn as well as I had hoped I managed to get some light out of this 90 year old lady! (or maybe even older). It is pulsating a little, and when I open up the valve, the whole mantle turns black with flames coming from it. This settled down after a few minutes, but I can't seem to get it going as good as it has to.

1343418507-IMG_4891.jpg 1343418517-IMG_4892.jpg 1343418531-IMG_4897.jpg 1343418542-IMG_4898.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  13. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Congratulations !

Well they are like women a little unpredictable...
    Mine is now suddenly leaking at the generator base.
    Not sure why though ?

Wim