X246 guardsman

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Dave Arnott, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Dave Arnott

Dave Arnott United Kingdom Subscriber

Does the guardsman use the same control as the x246B? Restoring my dads old one that’s sat for 30 years. Changed all the washers but when I try to light it not getting a good flame ( no mantle fitted yet) can’t feel pricker needle when operating valve and dont think the cam on control valve is working rite. Cheers for any advice

2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

NO. X246 Guardsman uses cock 2563 which has a bush to allow for clocking the valve and both valve and bush threads are larger than the later models. X246B uses cock 777 which is a smaller diameter 1/2"BSB thread. ::Neil::

3. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Dave and welcome from the Scottish Highlands. I’ve not had a cam fail, I’d be tempted to look for other issues.
    With the vapouriser removed removed from the control cock you should be able to see the cam turning when you turn the control knob.
    The vapouriser could be blocked with carbon.
    The pick up pipe below the control valve could be blocked. A wiggle with some soft wire will help if blocked.
    The fount (tank) could be made up with gunge. Remove the pump and have a gentle scrape on the inside of the bottom of the tank with a piece of wood.
    To answer your question, yes, a X246B cock will fit.... but they’re rubbish in comparison to the original one on your Guardsman.

I’m sure others will have advice too. Good luck with your fettle, let’s see some photos!

Stevie

4. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Sorry, miss information, Neil is quite right!

5. Dave Arnott

Cheers thanks for that
    Dave

6. Dave Arnott

Cheers Big Stevie
    From the lowlands . I. Can see the cam moving but thought you should be able to feel the pricker needle at the top of the vaporiser. Will check again tomorrow and will do the pick up pipe too with a wire. Cheers again Dave

7. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

This link shows relevant information and there are other links in the various posts.

8 Tilley control cocks

8. Alby

Alby Subscriber

I have fettled 3 Tilley Guardsmen , they are are a solid lamp , no problems really the only issues are probably the vapouriser , now a part 606 / wire 607 will do.if replacement is considered,

Very often you will not see the point of the pricker needle it all depends what is the top of the vaouriser like . just because you cannot see the tip does not mean anything.... it might be real good.. I clean as much of the carbon inside the vapouriser .. Cycle bowden cable wire is excellent shoved in and twisted around and so on so forth until all carbon shook out , 50/50 ATF /acetone mix soak overnight ..bowden cable again .... Heat and quench is usefull also not as good though as a cable scrape.

Pricker wire ... scrape all around with screwdriver flat T blade.. amazing how much comes off ... then metal emery paper its length to finish off . If point is blunt.......with care I often oilstone it a tad sharper .

When done reassemble stick some kero in the font and pressurize the font ... and try . You will know if it works ... sharp spurt upwards out of the top 3 ' + high may be more , you are good to go..

Good luck :thumbup:

9. Dave Arnott

Thanks for the advice, will have another go tomorrow.

10. Dave Arnott

11. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Dave Arnott
    Welcome from Queensland Australia.
    Looks like you have all the good advice to start with.
    Enjoy.
    Cheers
    Pete

12. Dave Arnott

Stripped it down again today there’s a leak at the control knob . Is there a washer under the knurled brass collar. Have slackened collar but can’t get the actual knob of to see

Attached Files:

13. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Yes, there's a gland nut washer to seal the control valve but you need to take the knob off. These are screwed on very tightly so you just have to bite the bullet and use a bit of force. Replacement washers are available from the Fettlebox and you might consider buying a kit that includes all the parts you'll need.

14. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Dave Arnott
    The black knob is threaded onto the shaft and it does screw off, sometimes it’s hard to move, but it does. Just rotate it anticlockwise turning through the firmness. Once the knob is off the brass knurled ferrule will unscrew, again anticlockwise.
    There may be the remains of a ring seal. In most cases, this seal will need to be replaced. There are some lampies that use 2 replacement seals, however I’ve always used the one replacement with no issue so far.
    These seals can be bought from the Fettlebox attached to this forum. The Tilley number is 234 gland nut washer.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Pete

15. Dave Arnott

Thanks again folks