X246 - The burning question of the day...

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Ian Roll, May 30, 2020.

1. Ian Roll

Ian Roll United Kingdom Subscriber

G'day all

Firstly my thanks to all those that responded to my first post about identifying my lamp, and especially to those that gave me such a warm welcome to the forum.

Right now I am in the gap between ordering a set of washers for my lamp and them arriving, so I have now disassembled my X246 lamp - Many thanks to the 'Broadlander' Youtube videos!

In the top of my lamp the burner is held in place with three threaded tubes and three knurled nuts.
    And it RATTLES. It is not tightly held.

So my question is:- Should it be tightly held, please? I could argue it either way, but I'd like to get it right..
    And if the answer is 'Tight', then how do y'all suggest I clean all the soot 'n stuff off the threads, please?

TIA

Ian

2. Darryl Durdin

Darryl Durdin Australia Subscriber

If its all sooted up, remove it, carefully, pull it apart, soak it in vinegar, for an hour or so, clean up kitchen scourer, soak som more if needed, clear inside the tube and the threads, clear the burner hole, it dose not have to be shiny, dry it put it back together, clean your hood as best you can, re assemble, it should be good to go.
    Do not brute force any of it, it should all come apart , if something is stuck, heat and quench repeat try, repeat.
    When you put it back into the hood, evenly finger tight, there is no need to do it up tight,
    I hope this helps

3. Ian Roll

Ian Roll United Kingdom Subscriber

Many thanks for this, Daryl

I have now cleaned out the burner/hood combo by scrubbing with white vinegar, it seems to have cleaned it out quite nicely.
    Right now I have some penetrating oil on the threads - I'll go back later to attack it again as necessary.

Brgds

Ian

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

First, a word of warning about Tilley burners. If you don't need to take them apart then DON'T. They operate in a very hot place and the more they're used, the more the inner threads burn away. At that point, they're easy to unscrew but impossible to screw back and you'll need a new burner. Don't worry about mud-wasp nests and the like - we don't seem to have them in the UK. Spiders we do have but I've never known one take up residence in a burner tube - and I've been collecting for 20 years. Oz, and similar places, is quite different.

Secondly, if the burner rattles about in the hood, that's probably no more than an irritation. I'd unscrew the collars a bit but only so much that the rattling stops. Leave a bit of looseness for them to expand within the hood when the lantern is lit.

BTW "attack" is probably not the way to go... ;) :lol: