1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X359 hood

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Rfurzer, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Rfurzer

I have acquired a tilley x359 with the blow lamp. It has a top very similar to my 246s- different to the ones in the CPL gallery. Is this a normal variant?

How is the blow lamp meant to work( I know they have a bad rep)

2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Great Lumley - cultural capital of N.E. England
    Good question! - I've never known one to work. Having said that, no doubt 20 people will now post pictures of them in full working order. :whistle:

Instead of coming up with a variant of the tried and tested system used by Petromax and others, Tilley came up with their own system which relied on a fixed and a pivoting pin to move a shaped seal to open and close the exit port of the atomiser. This was OK in theory but in practice, the pin(s) fell out and/or the seal went hard. Either way, it soon stopped working.

I think the idea was that you pressurised the tank and then opened the blowlamp with a half turn. You could then light the spray of atomised fuel with a match or whatever. Doubtless you would have to keep pumping during pre-heating. I suppose after 30-45 seconds you could turn off the blowlamp and open the control cock and the lantern would light.

That would have been Plan A, anyway... ](*,)

Regarding the hood, the X359 had a special kind as you've seen in the LRG. Such were the poor sales of the X359, many of these hoods were surplus to requirements and found their way onto other lanterns - mainly the X246A, I think - but probably not the other way around. I'd imagine your X359 has had a replacement hood at some point...

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Post a pic...

Unless you are somewhat OCD, I wouldn't even try to get the pre-heater to work. There's a bloke up your way who makes a might fine metho pre heater...

Cheers

Tony

4. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

G,,day and welcome to a fellow Tasmanian .
    cheers,
    kerry

5. Rfurzer

yep - i have OCD (actually I prefer CDO - alphabetical order!)

Does anyone have a surplus X359 hood?

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    :p ... Unfortunately I don't have one. Good luck finding one.

Cheers

Tony

7. David Shouksmith

They're just along from the hen's teeth and rocking-horse droppings but as Tony says, best of luck... :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  8. fishfish United Kingdom

whats a x359 hood worth?

9. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

We don't do values here but in this case I can tell you I really don't know because I have never seen one for sale or sold. If you need one then it's going to be worth about the same as a complete X359. ::Neil::

10. Matthew92

Matthew92 United Kingdom Subscriber

@David Shouksmith not 20 people, but I think a video should be worth 20 pictures. :lol: :lol: If you haven't already seen it.

11. David Shouksmith

Bloody typical of you, Matt! When folk aren't queueing up to give you VL1s and Optimus No. 9s for peanuts, they're falling over themselves to give you Tilley X359s with working blowlamp pre-heaters. :rage:

I swear you're in league with the Devil... :twisted:

12. Mackburner

Well I have had one work for me. A long time ago now but I got lucky and found brand new unused blow torch which I shoved in the lamp and it ran fine. Probably won't now of course because the rubber will likely have perished and I have no idea where the lamp might be so I am not going to try any time soon. ::Neil::

13. Ian Bingham

Ian Bingham United Kingdom Subscriber

I found my X359 hood on a yellow BR49 - a short one without the wick pre-heater; I think they are not altogether uncommon in that format, so worth keeping an eye open.

Does anyone have a suggestion why Tilley created a different style hood? It doesn't look to be significantly cheaper to manufacture and Tilley didn't persevere with this style

14. Mackburner

Those yellow BR lanterns both short and tall were made for Sourthern Rail and the tall one was fitted with the 359 hood. I guess because Tilley had a lot of overstock from a model they were not sellling well and used them up on this contract job. As both were used by a single user it is very possible that hoods got swapped in Southern's workshops.

I never have understood why they designed this hood. Maybe something to do with aspiration with the blow torch. ::Neil::

15. Matthew92

Matthew92 United Kingdom Subscriber

And those are just the ones I've told you about..... Mwah ha ha:evil::evil::evil: ;):lol:

16. Akeepsake

Akeepsake Australia Subscriber

R u from Tassie??
    I have had 3 x359s but only one with the torch and it worked well ! The gasket it the torch base is the issue and they are prone to leak
    Drop me a line if your local and we'll chat 0499533799
    Cheers Andrew