X410 vapouriser, why so long ?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Anthony, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Anthony

Anthony Australia Subscriber

There was an X358 on Ebay Australia a short time ago and it had a clip around the top ring of the vapouriser.
    DSC05913 copy.jpg

That had me wondering straight away because I was sure the clip was going to alter the height of the mantle in relation to the reflector.
    So I made a clip to see what would happen.
    IMG_1670.JPG

The spigot was still able to screw in properly against the inside of the burner and the whole burner was able to spin on the vapouriser.

It did of course raise the height of the mantle and would affect the reflected beam.

This picture is with the #1865 X410 vapouriser, no ring and sitting in the burner as normal.
    IMG_1635.JPG

This is the clip on a 606 (5 inch) vapouriser with the camera in exactly the same position.
    IMG_1632.JPG

So it gave me an idea.
    Could these lamps originally come out with the 606 vapouriser and a clip.
    The clip would hold the burner on the lamp if the lamp was knocked over and they were marketed as fishing lamps.

If there was an issue with the clip, (safety or marketing), the only way to have the mantle in line with the reflector would be to make a slightly longer vapouriser.

What seems a bit strange to me is the the vapouriser label says X410 but the X410 and the X410A does not need the height alteration as they do not have reflectors. And I also wonder why the X458 and the X460 is not mentioned on the label.

I had a look at the paper work I have to see if there was a gap between dates of when the lamps were first on the market and when the #1865 vapouriser first appeared but I don't have enough to make any conclusions.

Any thoughts or ideas.

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That's a first for me.

3. Anthony

Anthony Australia Subscriber

It would have ruled out the theory if the burner with the clip could not work with the air/fuel mix being altered.
    It worked fine though.
    A bit of flame out of the mantle but this is a very small mantle.

IMG_1674.JPG

4. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Interesting.
    On a occasion Neil was visiting Holland and we had a meet in my garden we had a discussion about the height and fuel/air ratio.

When all is new there is no problem.
    But with a used vaporizer you can get a better light by raising the air chamber/mantle a little.