Being prepared. (copy on CCS)

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by ColinG, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Derek

Derek Subscriber

If it were that simple . . . ! [-(

2. DP2

DP2 Subscriber

When you have just marched over a cliff edge and are falling into oblivion it's impossible to stand on your own feet.

Heinz canned meals, beans / sphagetti & sausages etc on offer at Asda at 50 pence a can, been stocking up just in case.

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

I've been stocking up as well, just in case... ;)

P1080001.JPG

Small pile,

P1080002.JPG
    P1080003.JPG

And larger pile! :D/

There's more to come, but first this lot has to be 'processed' into proper size for my stove next week (I was told by my doctor this morning I must not continue for a week ](*,) and then decide for my self what to do :roll: . Pfffffttt, no pain, no gain! :lol:

Best regards,

Wim

4. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

That's a good pile of logs you have there!

5. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Heinz, sounds German to me .....
    Hey but while you are trying to stand on your own feet, I am pretty sure a chinese will help you walk.
    And when then you can walk, you find out, the help was not free of charge.

6. DP2

DP2 Subscriber

The last thing I want the UK to do is to stand on its own feet as it will be impossible if we shoot ourselves in the feet by leaving the EU. However there are some very stupid people here.................

7. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Shot in the foot? Well maybe but it was the will of the people and like it or not that should be respected. I am old enough to remember that we managed pretty well before we joined the EU and I am sure we can do so again. ::Neil::

8. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

I'll second that.

Henry.

9. broadgage

I consider it prudent to be prepared with stocks of food, fuel, and other supplies in case of any emergency or disaster, including but not limited to;
    Extreme weather
    Major industrial disputes impacting vital services.
    Terrorist attacks on infrastructure.
    War, coup, or revolt in countries upon which we are reliant for food or fuel.
    A 1929 style financial crash.

I consider it unlikely that Brexit will have any major impact, but still consider it prudent to be prepared "just in case"

I keep logs for one whole winter, and coal for another winter.
    About 200L of paraffin, 30L of petrol. 15L of meths.
    A few thousand candles.
    100 alkaline D cells, 100 other assorted batteries.

"everyday" but non perishable food for a month or two.
    Doomfood for a year.
    Bottled water for a couple of months.
    An IBC of water (needs treating for drinking)
    A gravity water filter and spare filter candles for same.
    Water chlorination tablets.

Oil lamps, pressure and wick types.
    Oil cook stove.
    Tilley infra red radiator +spare parts.

Battery lanterns
    Torches
    Radios
    Geiger counters.

I doubt that I will need any of that for Brexit, but consider it prudent for "just in case"

The UK is very reliant on imports of oil, natural gas, electricity, and food, any of which could be affected by incidents unconnected with Brexit.
    Sooner or later I fear that a terrorist attack, extreme weather, and an industrial dispute (or any other three unrelated problems) will coincide with most unfortunate results.

10. Derek

Derek Subscriber

Thirded.

Lions led by donkeys. The Lions are grumbling, now the 'donkeys' are in disarray. Forty odd years of 'harmonisation', which the 'people' were not asked about in the first instance. It's going to take time, and hurt some. The democratic process has taken quite a hit these past few decades (some will say longer). But solutions will be found, and usually by the 'Lions' (though the donkeys will take the credit). Back to eating food that 'in season' etc. Interesting times indeed - and if the 'donkeys' capitulate and attempt to rejoin . . . ? Glad I'm not a 'donkey'.

11. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

What's an "IBC"? IBC - Wikipedia - Intermediate bulk container.

Alright, how big is your IBC? :-k

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  12. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

I will not be surprised if we are asked to vote on this topic again and it was England and Wales who voted to leave, Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to remain.

13. David Shouksmith

:-s :? If there is a second referendum (which will surely be unconstitutional and fatally undermine the democratic process in this country), what will happen if that one also votes 'Leave'? Are we just going to keep having them until the 48% get what they want? :-k

14. broadgage

IBCs come in various sizes, but 1,000 litres is by far the most common size, and I have one of these.
    They can be obtained cheaply if second hand and are ideal for water storage.

Most common types of IBC consist of a moulded plastic tank contained within an outer steel cage. These IBC "cages" can be obtained very cheaply indeed if the tank has become broken or punctured.
    They make excellent stores for logs destined for a fireplace or stove. A roof to exclude rain is easily improvised and the open sides allow air and sunlight to dry the contents. They should be spaced away from walls, sheds, fences and the like to avoid damp.

15. broadgage

16. David Shouksmith

:shock: Hard to believe that's over 500 years old... :whistle:

17. Marc

My main rule for "preps" is that while they may be chosen with an emergency situation in mind, my stores must save me time, money, hassle, or more, even when the world continues to spin as it's always done. They must improve my life and provide a return on investment even without said emergency situation ever arising.

I buy household necessities in quantity and for a discount. A case of loo rolls costs less than a four pack and will last us nearly a year. I just bought nearly 5 US gallons of laundry detergent, over a year's worth, on offer. Rice and beans and oats store well and are less expensive in 25lb bags. Repeat with garbage bags and freezer bags and deodorant and motor oil for the cars, etc etc etc. Most of it I have delivered as well, even easier. Fewer trips to the store, we never run out, etc.

I've made some exceptions to this for water, as it's so necessary for our biology. Filters, treatment options, and some storage. 55USgal/205l drums are common and inexpensive around here, and easier to manage and store than IBC totes. Mine previously held Pepsi syrup concentrate.

18. broadgage

I very largely agree in that preps should save time or money, or be worthwhile in some other way.
    The bulk buying of basic and always needed goods saves a lot of time and money.

SOME preps are pretty much useless until the emergency occurs, for example a Geiger counter could be crucial in some types of emergency but saves neither time nor money whilst times are normal. Still worth having IMHO for "just in case"

My bulk buying of food, drink, toilet paper, and basic clothing saves a lot of money.
    I add to stocks when suppliers have special offers on.

As well as keeping a reserve of heating fuel, I also keep a stock of blankets and warm clothing so as to reduce the need for fuel.

19. Marc

My 55 gallon drums of water are exactly that, will pretty much only be useful in a serious situation.

Fuel is a good one. In addition to kero/petrol, I stay stocked up a couple years ahead on firewood. With firewood I can keep my house a comfortable temperature no matter how cold it gets outside, and cook too. Green firewood costs less and seasons for free, and I've the time and space to store it.

Along the same lines, I don't let my fuel tank on my vehicles go below half. Issue with the bank and can't run cards? Station power out, no pumps running? Pull into a petrol station clanking and rattling on fumes and the above happens, you're screwed. At half a tank, I have options. Or neither of those things, maybe you ate something that disagreed with you at lunch and need to get home to your loo RIGHT NOW instead of buying petrol. Also, if the Cascadia Subduction earthquake that we're overdue for hits while I'm at work and power is out for miles and there are multiple buckled roads to be driven around so that I can get home - with half a tank of fuel, I can do that.

20. scl

scl Subscriber

the world is broke due to the rich and elites greed as usual and we the common honest good people will bring it back up again. remember what jesus said about the rich, it would be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the gates of heaven.