Petromax 500CP vs Butane lantern lumen output?

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Adrian, Nov 7, 2019.

1. JonD

JonD Subscriber

Surely it's not off topic for the open forum. I quite like the new 240Volt LEDs now that they have produced a reasonable colour temperature. I wonder if 2700-3000K is available in 12V? I can't think I have seen it.

Before that LED light was not for seeing by. Cold and horrible most of it.

2. Adrian Romania

Any solution that makes sense is welcome :) The problem with a LED setup involving an automotive battery is that the average car battery is designed for delivering a big short burst, not for deep cycles. The batteries designed for deep cycles are gel based and much more expensive. Such investment (solar panel+charging circuit+gel batt+lighting+wiring) wouldn't make sense for the odd power cut.

3. MYN

The Petromax 500cp could be a little pricey. An inexpensive Petromax clone like the earlier posted picture would suit the lighting requirements if she doesn't mind the fuelling, preheat, mantles and pumping hassles. Not necessarily 500cp, perhaps rated 350cp.
    Anyway, do you mean a 60W incandescent light bulb or an LED bulb that's actually rated at 60W? They would differ considerably in terms of lumen output. (The LED would have a much higher lumen per Watt).
    For an elderly lady who's not so technically-inclined, operating pressure lamps could be a daunting task.
    I'd suspect some cheap LED stuffs off the shelf would be what's really needed there.

4. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

With reference to old ladies... I recently sold one of my Tilley 246b's to the granny of a young fella I know because she heard about my collection and remembered using them in her childhood. She's in her late 70s and seems perfectly happy filling, preheating and lighting them. The good thing about Tilleys specifically and Kero lanterns in general is they are pretty simple to use and relatively safe. So long as she doesn't bash it around, the mantles should last which reminds me, I'd best ask if she wants me to source some replacements in case the one I fitted fails.

I think an instant source of lighting (a few dirt cheap LED torches dotted around) would be a wise move for the first 10 minutes of the power outage, with the Tilley or similar ready to provide long term lighting after that.

5. Adrian Romania

Of course she has at least 7 of those around the house since the last incident :)

6. Adrian Romania

As a side note, what model is the lantern presented in this video? With 2 mantles I suspect that should have a decent lumen output.

7. JonD

JonD Subscriber

That's Coleman but those canisters don't come cheap. As you mostly want this for standby use that might not matter.
    You could consider making up a refilling rig from a larger bottle but that comes with some risks.

8. paparazi

Well I shan't be apologising as it is clear the original poster is neither a collector or user of pressure lamps and came to this forum because he remembered using Petromax lamps in the army. His question is quite simply answered with a 'No' pressure lamps are not what you are looking for as they definitely don't fit the brief! quote 'I need something that can be used by a not-so-technically-inclined lady in a grab-and-use situation' so I broke the cardinal rule of actually trying to help with a suggestion that would actually fit his brief...So no apologies from me.

Martin I need something that can be used by a not-so-technically-inclined lady in a grab-and-use situation

9. Adrian Romania

Indeed, being for standby use the cost of 2-3 canisters isn't very relevant. But what model of Coleman is that?

10. JonD

JonD Subscriber

@Adrian Not one that I know, but it would be interesting to find out. I wondered if it was a gas conversion from something like a 285 but that would be more work than it's worth.
    Maybe they did produce something like that - it has passed me by. I expect the Coleman Collectors Forum is the place to start looking.
    Coleman Collectors Forum

Closer to home there is this rare beast in the reference gallery.
    5152C

Actually search for "coleman propane lantern" will find plenty of hits for what is in the video, it seems to be called a perfect flow lantern.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  11. Marc

Marc Subscriber

12. Pancholoco1911 United States

I was going to suggest you a Coleman NorthStar propane version but I don’t think the cartridges they use are readily available there. That’s my NorthStar and my refillable propane bottle CF0296F1-7CC0-4B79-A88C-E03C18E5DA74.jpeg

13. Marc

Marc Subscriber

I have the Flame King refillable carts too, not perfect but overall I like them.

14. Pancholoco1911 United States

I have 3 of them and looking to add more. My first kit was purchased at HD 2 years ago or so then they discontinued selling them due to a recall but I haven’t had any issues with mine. Then I bought another 2 bottles from Walmart online (different seller not by Walmart) and they are doing good.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2019