1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with Primus 1020 NRV

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by george, Oct 9, 2017.

1. James

James United Kingdom Subscriber

I would start by getting the old pump tube out of the tank so you can see what the damage is. Maybe you could repair it by filling the hole with JB Weld.

2. george

george United States Subscriber

Thanks, James. I thought about that too, but wondered when I try to solder the barrel back in the lantern if the heat might mess up the JB weld... From what I can see I am very close to the threads in the barrel. The way my luck has been going I probably just hit them enough to screw them up. I guess I won't know until I get the barrel out. Stayed tuned for the next exciting adventure of, "The Man Who Has Not Idea What The Hell He's Doing!":mrgreen:

3. george

Still working on the 1020. Little on the cold side in the garage right now. Want to wait till it warms up a little. I did light up my old Primus 1001 (1930). It worked great! Now I don't have to cry in my beer about the 1020. :-({|=

4. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 South Africa Subscriber

Somerset West, near Cape Town, South Africa
    Luckily the NRV does not seal on the screw thread. If there is enough thread left to snug it up against a lead ring seal you should be OK. If the thread is too badly damaged I would silbraze (silver solder) it and tap it rather than using an epoxy.

5. george

Thanks Phil
    I am going to keep this in mind. I think I might have missed the threads with the drill. The more I read here the more I'm convinced there's a good chance I can save it. In the case of the pump barrel, when I solder it back in the tank do you use silver solder for that, too?
    [-o<

6. phaedrus42

Hi George, for re-fitting the pump tube back into the fount, plumbers lead solder with a good rosin flux would be the appropriate way to go. You should need very little as the joint area is already tinned. To prevent excess solder from adhering to the area around the joint you can "colour in" the border with a felt tip permanent marker.

7. george

Great idea,Phil. I'm going to get my son to un-solder the pump barrel. Right now he's been taking his Mom for treatments. I don't drive anymore unless it's an absolute emergency. I've had cervical spine surgery twice, and have about six pins and twelve screws in my neck so it's hard to bend my head.
    Still hoping for a fix on the NRV.:mrgreen:

8. george

Success at last!!!!!!!!!!! My son un-soldered the pump barrel on the Primus 1020 and out it came! He said there was a lot of crud in the tank and he is going to lightly blast the inside of the tank with walnut shells (same as sand blasting only much lower pressure and no sand). I'll get a good look at the Pump barrel and what damage I did with the drill. Stay tuned....:clap:

9. StephanE

StephanE Germany Subscriber

Congratulations on your partial success. Don't forget to put the champagne in the fridge to have it ready at the end of the repair. But before being drunk ;) take a photo of the lamp :thumbup:

10. george

Will do!

11. george

Good news, my bad drilling missed the threads in the pump barrel! All that needs to be done now is full the hole I accidentally drilled, solder the bottom on the pump barrel and solder it back in the tank. Then set back and wait for the new NRV to arrive. Hummm, wonder what else can go wrong?:-k

12. george

Have a few more tests to conduct on the 1020 to make sure it's not leaking air. The lead seal should take up any minor lumps or bumps around the NRV hole. Want to make certain this is going to be tight and not leaking before we solder it back in the tank. Fingers crossed..:-&

13. george

SUCCESS AT LAST!!!!! Got the pump barrel back in the 1020 and fired it up last night. At first the mantel started to turn black... I thought, what else can go wrong? Then I started to think (new for me), did I tighten the nipple (nozzle)? Left it cool down and kept it in the house since it's damn cold here and in my garage. The nipple was loose.... I tightened the nipple and it works like a charm! Back in operation again!!!!!:D/:clap::lol:

14. phaedrus42

Full marks for perseverence, George! It paid off in the end.:clap::clap::D/
    Any chance of a "money shot" ?

15. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @george

Excellent! :thumbup:

Cheers

Tony

16. george

Phil
    I have a picture but as usual, I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to posting pictures.:-k

17. StephanE

Good job! :thumbup:

18. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @george

To post a photo:

1. Below this dialogue box that I’m typing in right now is a button that says “Upload a File”.

2. When I press or click on that button it allows me to load my photograph. You don’t need to resize your photos unless they are huge.

3. When the photo is loaded, I can click on the “Full Image” button next to the thumbnail pic of the photograph. The photo will appear at the place my curser is positioned:

A2EEC491-A30D-4073-A5F5-51F65A3CE494.jpeg

The alternative is to open the dialogue box and “drag” your photos in from your photo library.

Cheers

Tony

19. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Australia Subscriber

Congratulations George. :clap:

20. george

Feel like the "village idiot" but will try and see what happens...

20171215_125142.jpg

21. george

Holy Sh.., I think I got it to work!!! Now I can really go ape with the pictures!!!:D/:mrgreen:

22. Henry Plews

Henry Plews United Kingdom Subscriber

Well done George, your lantern is burning brightly.

Henry.

23. george

Thanks, Henry
    I made sure it was not leaking. I lit it last night and let it burn for about and hour and a half and it burned steady all the time. These are a great lantern and this is one of my favorites. Now that I have some vague idea how to post pictures, I'll try to post other pictures of some the lanterns I have.:D/

24. StephanE

... and there are a lot oft them barely visible in the background of your photo :thumbup:

25. phaedrus42

It is in beautiful condition for such an old one!

26. george

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and support. This was a labor of love. The lantern is one of my favorites and the last thing I wanted to do was hose it all up. Thanks again!:clap::content:

27. george

Just thought I would share (for one last time) what the damage looked like on the 1020 when I slipped with the drill
    Damaged 1020 pump barrel.jpg

28. StephanE

How did you fill the hole? Simply solder?

29. george

Yes, my son soldered the hole shut and then he placed the pump barrel back in the tank. Not a lot of heat down at that end so no danger of un-soldering the plug.
    :content:

30. george

StephanE
    Yes, I have way too many lanterns. Counting all, even the wick ones, I have over 300 lanterns! Fool's folly, I guess. Once you are hooked it's hard to break the line! I started almost 40 years ago and haven't quit yet. I'll see what I can come up with and post some more pictures! I'm on a roll now! :D/