Tilley X246 1954-56 - My new fettling project.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Polybus, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    The pip in the bottom of your control cock is not sealing properly. But, honestly, you can operate the lantern like that by using the pump/filler to release pressure to stop the leak.

Cheers

Tony

2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Probably because there was a little kerosene in the vapouriser left over from the previous burn or due to expansion following temperature increases around the tank. Depending on exactly how you shut off the lantern, they sometimes can run on a while for the same reason - just some kero under pressure in the vapouriser.

:-k Was it you who was asking for a spare Primus pump-rod?

3. Polybus

Polybus Australia Subscriber

I've got the leak issue fixed - just pulled out the check valve, cleaned off the pip, cleaned out the seat in the control valve and gave the spring a small stretch, and that seemed to do the job.

The mantle test - as you can see, I made a real botch job of putting the mantle on. I bought a whole lot of matles, but they are only one ended ones, so I have to pick open the other end to make them two ended to fit on the Tilley.

Anyway - here are the photos. It appears as if the flame is escaping from the mantle (Pic 1 to 4) - it is OKish while the pressure is moderate, but as soon as I pump it up over about 50 pumps, the flame seems to leak out of the mantle - ummmmmmm - perhaps its the gaping big hole in the mantle :roll: The photos don't really show how much the flame is excaping from the mantle - (Pics: 1 and 2) show it a bit at the top/left of the mantle, but the others don't really show much.

And when the pressure gets low - the whole mantle just gets totally engulfed in yellow flame (Pic: 5).

20190920-045 - 1955 Tilley - Mantle Test.JPG 20190920-046 - 1955 Tilley - Mantle Test.JPG 20190920-049 - 1955 Tilley - Mantle Test.JPG 20190920-047 - 1955 Tilley - Mantle Test.JPG 20190920-048 - 1955 Tilley - Mantle Test.JPG

I'll see what I can do to fix it, but it will just have to wait.

My time is up - I work a 2 week on/2 weeks off work rotation, and on Sunday I flight out for an "on" rotation, trouble is, due to short staff, this time I will be working 2 weeks on, and then another 2 weeks for what was supposed to be my 2 weeks off, and then my 2 weeks on - so I'm off for 6 weeks work, and then when I come home, off on holidays for 10 days. So I might not be such a regular visitor to CPL for the next 7 weeks. I'll still get here, but won't be working on lamps.

I will get back to lamps (and stoves and blow lamps) when I get back.......oh well - got earn money to pay for lamps somehow.....:idea:

Polybus

4. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

That small leak when the valve is turned off is not important. Yes there is supposed to be a shut off but really it is redundant. Vapalux/Bialaddin lanterns work in exactly the same way and they never had a shut off valve only a pricker control. In general kero lamps don't need a valve because you shut them off by releasing pressure. The only exceptions are those lamps that need pressure for pre heating such as the BR types and those that have a blow torch preheater. You just start the lamp from zero pressure and only pump after pre heat and shut off by dumping pressure. ::Neil::

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Polybus , nice work on the lantern. :thumbup:
    The hole in the mantle is an issue needing rectification. Escaping gas from the hole can cause a hot spot and crack the glass. :doh:

6. Seamanjive

Seamanjive Subscriber

Yes, be careful with that leaking from the mantle. When I fired-up my 1550 after my first attempt at installing a mantle I didn't notice that gas was escaping from a hole/ tear. I ran it like that for long enough to cause a deformation of the glass...which was brand new, first use!
    I cleaned up the glass but it eventually cracked...and not while in use.
    The tear in the mantle was caused by a jet of fuel from the quickstart nozzle. At that time the jet assembly was not mixing any air and the fuel under pressure was enough to damage the mantle.
    Got a new frosted glass now and fixed quickstart fires-up ok...but it's all very aggressive and I prefer the meth preheat.
    Best of luck with six weeks on shift!

7. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@Polybus Perhaps the vapouriser is on its way out i.e. the hole is becoming enlarged which makes the fuel air mixture too rich. Try swapping the vapouriser from your X246A and see if it makes a difference.

Henry.