What is the blue fuel?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Tim Francis, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Tim Francis United Kingdom

It’s going!
    Did quite a lot of coughing and spluttering for a few mins then settled down - what was that about?
    It’s now hissing in rhythm- is that normal?
    Will it go on now til it runs out of fuel or would I have to pump it again?
    Exciting times!!

Attached Files:

2. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

You'll need to pump in more air, I think Tilley recommend 20 pumps an hour. As a rule of thumb, if it's so dim that you can't see what you're doing, pump in more air.

Henry.

3. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Huzzah !!! :clap: .. You did it, Well done! :thumbup:

They sometime do have a bit of a cough and splutter the first time after a fettle/ stripdown... a quick couple of turns to operate the pricker sometimes helps, but that can also shut things down! Sometimes 2 pre-heats help and try starting before the 2nd heat has died so that if it goes out then there are still heater flames there.. if you see what i mean?

Great stuff! Pleased for you ! :)

4. Zigfire

Zigfire Australia Subscriber

Good on you Francis, well done.
    You're surely well and truly hooked now!
    Watch out though, they breed at night.:clap:

5. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Well done @Tim Francis
    You’re on the way now, you now need another lantern to make a breeding pair ..... then watch them breed. :D/
    Looking forward to more of your posts and pictures of your future money shots.
    Cheers
    Pete

6. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

There you go Tim, now you’re well and truly infected! Well done!

7. Tim Francis United Kingdom

Thanks all, I've already bought another two...
    (much worse condition so will be more of a challenge!)

8. BigStevie

@Tim Francis Because were a bunch of nosey buggers, what ‘other two’ have you just bought? There is no cure.... happy fettling!

9. Tim Francis United Kingdom

@BigStevie i think they’re the same model. I bought from only a couple of photos, the seller lives near my aunt so had him deliver them - I shan’t get them till post-lockdown. £15 for the pair so didn’t think I could go wrong even if they’re beyond repair (is anything ever truly beyond repair though?!)

10. BigStevie

Haha, I’ve bought a few that way! The minus side is you can end up with a shelf full of not over exciting lamps, the plus side is that occasionally you make a good score. I bought two lamps last year for £20 on description, one was Tilley X246b in very clean condition, the other an as new vapalux M1. Where else can you get that much fun for £20!
    The other aspect of picking up cheap lamps is as a good source of spares. On the subject of which, I can recommend getting yourself a supply of seals. Fettlebox, a sponsor of this site, can supply what you need... and if you subscribe to the site you get a discount too!
    When I got started on the lamps a year or two ago a member on the site suggested I bought myself a cheap set of dental picks. They’ve been invaluable!
    You’ll have to find a lamp or two locally to keep you going....

11. Zigfire

@BigStevie ,
    Dental picks eh? Sounds like a good idea. Where did you get them from, if I may ask?

Cheers Michael

12. BigStevie

@Zigfire Hi Michael, there are cheap sets on fleabay. Just buy the cheapest set!

Stevie

13. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Well I got mine from my dentist. When I was there once I asked if they had any old ones and she brought out a whole bunch of them and said to take what I wanted. I don't know if it was just her, or if most dentists have worn out tools that havn't been thrown out yet. They still work fine for what I want though.

14. Tim Francis United Kingdom

I do quite like the idea of making something that someone thought was junk into a useful item that could have decades more service left in it.

Thanks for the tip about fettlebox - a set of seals will certainly be a good idea

I have a set of dental picks and a set of steel spudgers which i bought on Aliexpress which I bought for motherboard repair but have become some of my most oft-used tools for all manner of things that you might otherwise use your fingers or damage a screwdriver for.

15. Zigfire

Thankyou Stevie and Nils. I'll put the hard word on my dentist a d check out fleabay as well.
    Cheers Michael

16. Dave Lockett

Dave Lockett United Kingdom Subscriber

Showing your age now. And mine. Esso Blue paraffin ditty

17. Alby

Alby Subscriber

18. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Bad news .. It seems that a large majority of dentists have reneged upon returning to NHS practisces
    in the UK for reasons they deem thereselves.. equipment/ staff / money / procedures etc .. who knows
    what .. but..for those with tooth pain I have much sorrow for them. I hope they get sorted at hospitals/
    clinics and gain comfort and healing in due course ... In the Catholic faith the patron Saint of dental healing matters is Saint Apollonia who will aid and help sufferers in agony with thier teeth by prayer .. there is nothing worse than acute dental pain ..:thumbup:

19. Buggerlugs

Buggerlugs Australia Subscriber

Welcome and nice job, she looks a beaut, and they will multiple, just wait and see what happens. PS beware of lampitus its very contagious, good luck mate.