1904 or later Lux DHK hollow wire lamp

Discussion in 'Lux' started by Conny C, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Hi all,

Here is my example of the Swedish AB Lux hollow wire lamp DHK (K-for a "koppar" copper finish). The Lux DH lamp is first seen in a 1902 catalogue. This first DH lamp had a hw connection with the fuel tube sticking out of the upper end of the harp with a threaded nut for connection. In the Lux 1904 catalogue in my possession, one can see a change, and now the hw connector is integrated in the top finial "ball" with hanger. When the change was made I'm not sure of, but this version of my lamp was at least present in 1904.
    I have had this lamp for years missing the very special cleaning needle mechanism and a proper shade. This summer I found another DH lamp that I could use for parts and now the only thing missing of the cleaning needle mechanism was the needle holder/carrier.
    With measurements and pictures from a Swedish collector friend I managed to fix me a functional needle carrier.
    I also had an original cracked shade that gave me the right measurements for the possibility to make new ones. With that measurements and with a Swedish glass moulder and glass blower, I got a production of globe shades made both for me and other Swedish collectors ( the production of 25 globes were made probably only a couple of miles from where the original shades originally had been made 100 years ago, in the "glassworks district" of Sweden).

This 200 CP kerosene fed lamp has a Lux burner (used from 1901 in Lux lamps), and was sold as a work shop lamp, also for use in churches, cafés and other big space indoor places. Later this lamp came in an ornamental version for domestic use.

One can have different opinions about the exceptional cleaning needle system of these lamps/burners. Ingenious or just crazy? One thing though - there are so many factors with these several movements that can go wrong and the jet is not rock steady fastened either ( you need a precise alignment of the needle carrier for making it to the orifice). Most, if not all, of the circa 10 lamps with that mechanism I've seen had a broken needle, or the needle carrier/holder is gone. Also on the downside that you had to exchange the whole carrier when you broke the needle.

These lamps were pressurised by different types and sizes of Lux tanks; using either air pressure or using a CO2 cartridge for pressure. Most of the tanks, maybe all, used a pressure regulator device. You can see a big Lux CO2 tank below (I did not used that in my lighting try) and you can also see an air pressure Lux tank that Christer just posted in the "Spares & Accessories section".

/Conny

1446913120-Lux_DHK_HW_hanging_lamp.jpg

1446913141-Lux_DHK_HW_hanging_lamp_lit.jpg 1446913166-Lux_DHK_HW_hanging_lamp_lit_mantle.jpg 1446913186-Lux_DHK_without_mantle_and_glass_globe.jpg 1446913245-Lux_DHK_parts.jpg 1446913300-Lux_DHK_burner_1.jpg 1446913315-Lux_DHK_burner_2.jpg 1446913331-Lux_DHK_burner_3.jpg 1446913352-Lux_DH_cleaning_needle_mechanism.jpg 1446913381-Lux_DH_pre_heater_before_and_after.jpg 1446913407-Lux_DHK_Hanger_and_smoke_bell.jpg 1446913457-Lux_DHK_mantle.jpg 1446914760-Lux_DHK_pre_heating.jpg 1446913615-Lux_DHK_blue_Bunsen_flame.jpg 1446913734-Lux_DHK_1904_cataloge_image.jpg 1446913822-Lux_parts_list.jpg 1446913845-Lux_Sven_Carlsson_cleanng_needle_mechanism_patent.jpg

Here´s images of the Lux tank.........

1446913932-Lux_Hollow_wire_tank.jpg 1446914003-Lux_Hollow_wire_tank_logo.jpg 1446914023-Lux_Hollow_wire_tank_with_pressure_regulator_and_and_carbonic_acid_unit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

A great lamp and a great post Conny!

It looks good with that globe. I must add pictures to my D lamps here with these globes I got from you a while ago. They look so much better with the correct sized one.

I amended your title to just read 1904 as the starting year because in the 1903 years catalogue it looks the same as in the one from 1902.
    1904 is the first year with the fitting for the tubing in the ball like yours.

For those who want to see more of the tank, I have one taken apart posted here.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A splendid example! :thumbup:

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

A beautiful restoration Conny. A great job done fabricating and aligning the cleaning needle :clap: :clap:

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Beautiful lamp, Conny. Great restoration!

Cheers

Tony

6. Matty

I just shook my head at this whole topic.

The way you have chronicled the lamps restoration, the trouble you had to go to, to complete the restoration and the photographs is nothing short of astonishing.

7. joakim.stromberg

joakim.stromberg Subscriber

You're very skilled Conny
    Great looking lamp
    Joakim

8. Claus C

That is a nice find and neat work Conny :thumbup: .
    The lux-tank completes it all.
    The lamp looks very nice in copper, to me even better than if it was chromed as I normally prefer for lamps in general.

Claus C