A brass Standard 2045

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Gustavo, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Gustavo

Hello from Spain.

I'm new to this world of pressure lanterns. Recently I bought my first lamp on a street market. It lacks some parts, the glass, the bonnet and the principal jet. The heater jet is broken by the thread.

Searching information I've found that it has the shape of a Standard 2045, but that lamp was made on steel, not entirely on brass like mine. The only mark it has is "DANUS", just engraved below the two control valves. On the ceramic nozzle there is also a 1353 number.

I think it can be a replica or a copy made in Denmark as Danus was the first king of its protohistory....

Now, thanks to the gentle aid of Neil A McRae, I know the diameter of the principal jet, and the similarities or differences with the real Standard 2045.

http://www.lampguild.org/cgi-bin/bboard/bboard.pl?QX=LG&SHOW=Q0006584

Now I`m searching for a bonnet that fits, say one of the Standard 2045 or the 2422(Petromax 850), as they share the same charasteristic "ears" for the handle that also fix the tap.

The jet can be another valuable item to find.
    1380514688-Q0006584.JPG 1380514714-R0015733.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes this is an odd lantern. We are familiar with it painted green with red and black fibre control wheels but this one is nickel or chrome plated and has metal plated wheels. Thet are not normally stamped either they just had a decal applied to the side of the tank.

So I am interested to know who sold this "Special" as a Danus brand and where it was retailed. ::Neil::

3. Gustavo

I've fixed the heater jet turning it upside down. Yes, it is threaded on both sides, the same thread, but somebody broke it and only remains one turn, enough to hold that "umbrella" burner, as only evaporated gas pass through that jet.

The principal jet is lost but the thread at the end of that "elephant trunk" expansion tube seems to be metric 4/70. According to Neil A McRae, the lamp needs a bore of 0.2mm.

Does somebody out there know something that can be adapted? I've read that one jet from Coleman can do, but I need the exact reference....

1380649109-1380645511-preheater_burner.jpg

1380649114-1380645541-expander.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Gustavo

Sorry. Thanks for fixing them...I wouldn't do it again...

5. Gustavo

What is the point of this little stick and the correspondent slot in the pump cap? 1380705970-pump_rod.JPG

The only thing it does is annoy me, because most of the time prevents the piston to reach the end of the course when pumping.

It is precisely then when the bottom valve at the pump opens. I have to carefully align them while pumping if I want to be effective.

Attached Files:

6. karli

karli Subscriber

You can lock the pump

7. Gustavo

Then the rod is longer than it must be or from another lamp as the pin only goes beyond the slot if the cap is unscrewed...

It also lacks the spring I've seen on another 2045's rod. Surely lost....

8. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Sounds like your pump, pumpleather or NRV needs attention, then - something's not right...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  9. Gustavo

Not a much worrying thing, on the other hand it pumps fine.

10. Gustavo

Bad news.

Surprised at the trace of welding, and so much sticking of the pump,
    1380791754-Bomb_protuding.JPG
    I unsoldered it and found that someone has manipulated this lamp inside. There was always something inside that sounded like a maraca, but now I know that the safety valve has been manipulated and it will not work any more. The loose part is the tube that connects the back of the pump with the safety valve, and I can't put it back if not unsoldering the bottom. It is beyond my intentions.
    1380791974-unsoldered.JPG
    I can make that benzine lamp work for a demonstration, but it isn't suitable for continuous use without that valve.

I also sadly found why the pump rod lack of travel, as the valve has been changed for a more protruding one.

Attached Files:

11. Gustavo

Meanwhile I've taken some batterings thanks to the hole...

12. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Now that is a real pity. You could try kero instead of benzine. The pre heater won't work but the lamp just might if you can increase the air gap. ::Neil::

13. Gustavo

What bore do you propose?

Oh pardon, you said the air.

14. Gustavo

I've found one candidate jet for the lamp. It is a pilot jet from a butane water boiler, the same thread and the same bore(0,20mm 4M70). The maker is Cointra, an Spanish appliances manufacturer. Part 410.150.0040

I've already ordered it.

Other parts, like the glass, the leather joint for the pump, and a bonnet to adapt while I find something better, are in my way.

15. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

I guess that original the pump has no valve at all.
    The small winged "safety" feature is the ball valve.

16. Gustavo

That is it, the check valve is at the side of the can, not at the bottom of the pump(2045 model 2).

http://homepage.bluewin.ch/vergaserlampen/1631685.htm

But somebody threaded the bottom of the pump un-welding the tube that connects the pump to the check valve. Surely someone "expert" in paraffin-kerosene lamps (but not skilled on gasoline lamps), asked himself why the valve was not there at the depth.

As a lego in pressure lamps, at first it seemed normal to me, but then I've learned ....

17. Gustavo

Although this is not a page on stoves, I include this information to clarify something about the brand of my lamp, "DANUS".

I've found an advertisement in a specialized page of an old stove with same mark and "made in Sweden" cast in the burner: 1381239882-stove_Danus_0.JPG 1381239919-stove_Danus_1.JPG 1381239944-stove_Danus_2.JPG 1381239955-stove_Danus_3.JPG

Observe the USA brand "VACUUM Oil Co" stamped on the tank.

The stove was sold but fortunately you can still visit the advert. Model Sunflower No. 17.

http://www.todocoleccion.net/antiguo-hornillo-petroleo-marca-danus-n-17-sunflower-20-cm-alto-20-diametro~x22332190

I'm also new to stoves and so I can't differentiate from what brand and model was copied.

Attached Files:

18. Gustavo

Searching the "Classic Camp Stoves" I've found this:

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/10128/post/new/

And this:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/81021/thread/1065457858/Stove+for+free.

In brief, Vacuum Oil Co. had the rare marketing strategy of give away for free their lamps with the hope that the receiver will buy their petrol.

But the lamps weren't of poor quality, as you can see from the photos shown. Neither they hid the actual manufacturer, Swedish, German or Portuguese. They already, at that early time, stamped recommendatory texts in the language of the target consumer!.

---------------------------------------------
    Although my lamp was not a "poisoned gift" from the VACUUM Oil Co. (it hasn't their brand stamped), I can say it could have been made in Sweden... like that sunflower no 17 stove.

Is a pity that the pictures are of such low quality as I can't see the burner manufacturer's brand.

Can anyone recognize it?

19. Gustavo

It can be a Radius:

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/1433/post/new/#NEW

20. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

That stove could very well be made by Radius. They also had a lantern branded with the same oil company. You can see it [url=http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/2200 in the reference gallery.

21. Gustavo

The DANUS brand is only shown on the grille.

Why the seller selected that name to advert instead the big letters SUNFLOWER or VACUUM?

If not for that I would have not found it in google...

22. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Maybe the ring is from a totally unrelated stove. It does show that there was also sold a stove under that brand name so maybe there is more.