Amish Lanterns

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Will, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Will

I have been having an interesting e-mail conversation with Doug Eisemann. We have been pondering the reasons for the Amish production of their own lanterns. There is little doubt in my mind their own lanterns are darn sturdy, but they are also darn expensive.

While the Coleman product robustness leaves something to be desired relative to product of the past, it is certainy not junk, nor is it incapable of running day in and day out. Even if the Coleman is not quite up to par with Amish built lanterns, you could entirely replace the Coleman 2-4 times before you lose money (Amish: $200-400, Coleman 639B: $90).

So, what am I missing?

Will

2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Aren't they generally made to shine brighter?
    Some of them are (theoretically) of about 1000CP.

Otherwise I'd prefer a Coleman any day.
    They work fine enough to me, and on top of that, they also look good. The Amish made lanterns on the other hand look quite terrible. I guess they only are made to last and work, not to look good, since function of course is the main thing for a lantern you actually use.

3. norf

does it go back to their lifestyle? , making rather than buying, them selling to the un-amish is raising funds for their community thus providing them with private health care etc. I'm quite unimpressed with religion but do have a respect for their values.

4. dday

I am fortunate enough to own a Amish made HC Lantern that is made in Pennsylvania. I purchased the lantern from a Amish Coleman Variety shop about 20 minutes away from my home and it set me back around $160 at the time (last year). They use a Coleman tank and the rest (burner frame, valve assembly, vent, etc) is all HC and is very sturdy and well built (mostly from stainless steel and brass). The generators are multi fuel meaning that they will burn white gasoline or kerosene and are extremely robust and large so carbon buildup shouldn't be an issue. The replacement generators are only around $7. It burns extremely well and the suggested mantles for it are each 500CP, so you get a good amount of light coming from it. Is it worth the extra $$ for a HC over a Coleman 639? I'd say yes if it was my only source of light as these are in much of the Amish community. After several years of use day in and day out, I'd bet the HC would easily outlast one or possibly two Coleman 639's. Just an opinion, but the Amish lanterns are very well made.
    Dan

5. Claus C

Hi
    Is it posible to see one in action. I am considering buying one from the other side of the pond. Its not difficult to find pages on the web with those lamps for sale. My only doubts is if the lamps should be considered as lamps of their own brand, as a true lamp and how they look and work in action. I still havent convinced my self but a burning HC lamp might push me in the wrong direction of using money :O)

Claus C.

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

There are a very few Amish lanterns in Europe. Mine is here 2006 Nite-Hawk and my Friend Henry in Yorkshire has one. I think there is one in Germany as well but that is about it. Seriously bright lamps and very well made. Expensive for sure but should last for years even with constant use. ::Neil::

7. Doug Eisemann

I thought I should weigh in, as I indirectly started this whole topic when Will and I were exchanging emails as to what kind of things we were interested in. Living here in almost the heart of Amish country, Pennsylvania, I became interested in finding out more and documenting what was going on with Amish non-electric lighting technology. It seemed to be an area where developments in pressure lamps were still being made, and yet many collectors had only a small idea of what was out there.
    In fact, it was a LP gas lantern from HC Lanterns that got me interested again in pressure lamps quite recently.

That said, I do also own an HC 500C lantern, as DDay does, and it is extremely robust and bright, a bit of a fuel hog, and loves high operating pressure. (read, pump a lot!) The cost of these is now approaching $200, but it should last several lifetimes.

As many know, Lancaster Lanterns, only a few miles away from HC, makes the Nite Hawk lantern. Unfortunately, due to in-the-field problems with the 1st and 2nd generation units made a few years ago, the production has been hit and miss, but the expected price of these when they again are available will be $350 or above
    Here, construction is totally stainless steel and brass, including a welded stainless fount.

All this said, after visiting both shops, it seems like their mainstay of business is in repairing and supplying parts for off-the-shelf Coleman or Petromax style lanterns. Production of proprietary lanterns seems quite small-scale, and in the case of the Nite-Hawk, plagued with problems.

Talking with the Amish proprietors has led me to believe that liquid fueled lanterns in general is falling out of favor in preference of LP gas, and most recently, battery powered LED and fluorescent lighting.

In short, I would imagine there are Amish customers who are not willing or able to pay for the expensive HC500 or Nite Hawk, and sacrifice some durability in the long run. (Not that a basic older Coleman is any slouch) Then again, there are those that are willing to pay a premium for the best value in terms of longevity and durability.

Sorry to have rambled on so. I am certainly not an expert on the subject. To learn more was one reason I became interested. Feel free to PM me if you wish with any questions!

Best Regards,
    Doug

8. Claus C

I am supriced. Never knew those lamps existed. (Mcburners) Looks very nice and solid too. I want one.
    5 years ago when I started to search for another lamptyp than the traditional I would fancy a table-lamp, and I found 2 homepages from Amish-shops where it was possible to buy new table-lamps for liquid fuel from the amish. They werent even expensive, just a little. Both homepages had the same lamp, chrome font, black handle and white shade.
    I thougt this was a "Amish-lamp" and it has never left my mind. Does anyone know what lamp this is?
    It sure isnt like this one the Mcburner link shows and Im sorry what my confusion might have coursed.

Claus C

9. Doug Eisemann

Hello Claus!

Does the lamp you are thinking of look like one of these?

Link

If so, these are the table lamps made by Leacock Lamp Co, formerly Leacock Coleman in Ronks, Pennsylvania, USA.

They are still available new, but can be found on Ebay used from time to time for not much money, unless they have a really nice glass shade sold with them! The shades are usually more than the lamp.

Basically somewhat like an updated Coleman CQ (Sorry I am not good with coleman lamp models) Older ones like the model 100 have a painted or chromed steel fount, newer ones are all stainless steel.

Best Regards!
    Doug E.

10. Claus C

Hi Doug
    They look exactly like the lamps I saw in shape and globe. As I remember the rod was black but its some time ago and im getting older hehe. This is a stylish and gender looking lamp and since you wrote I have tried to find it on the Amish-sites unfortunatly in vain. I wil try to follow the ebay of the states, while I exspect it to be hard to find in Europe. Do you know the quality of this lamp? It looks well-made.

11. Doug Eisemann

Hello Claus,

I do believe the old Coleman CQ? model table lamps have a black handle, but as far as I know, Leacock has always made their lamp bases with the fluted handle column.

They are very well made, I only have a few older steel tanks, but the new stainless ones are probably even better.
    All the local shops around here are out of stock of Leacock lamps at the moment due to a production delay on the founts at the moment, but I think the new ones can be had without a shade or pump for around US $150,

A nice one with a lot of accessories including hanging kit, reflector and opal glass shade sold for only $65 on Ebay US just days ago, I would have bought it, but I don't really have the need or space at the moment. Generally the shades alone sell for more than that.

Regards,

Doug

12. Claus C

Hi Doug
    Thanks for usefull information. It might be the coleman I saw - but I like the Leacock much more. Another suffering companion here on the cpl and this evening we agreed that we needed a Leacock wall- or tablelamp badly. We know the costs and app. december this year at least I am ready to cough up some money for buying and transport. (we both have other sheduled lampprojects :) Well the bottomquestion is if we could trick you to help us ex. warn us when a good lamp is turning up and with general advicery?
    If this is a digestible suggestion then let us know your limits or your needs if we can prepare some humble care from this side of the pond, Danmark. ;O). Just PM me.

regards Claus C

13. Albrecht Italy

Hello Dan, here Albrecht writing from Italy. As you live in the amish neighborhood - is it possible for you to get a used or new nite hawk 701 or 720 ? I'm here in Europe and it is not possible to find a way to get one. If you could help me with this, that would be fantastic, please let me know. check out lamp-fever.com best, Albrecht

14. Hanzo

Albrect

Dan, if you mean dday, mostly hangs out at Coleman Collectors Forum. As this is a dated thread I will share what I know about your inquiry. The Nite Hawk 720 is no longer made. In fact Dan bought the old inventory from Lancaster Lanterns of all remaining 720's in existence . Don't know if he still has any .

The Nite Hawk 701 is in production discontinuously , last price was $360 . Orders for them are taken and they are made in small batches, usually LL will have one in stock. Anyone in the US can order a lantern from LL either by phone with a credit card or email and they will ship anywhere domestically in the US for $20 or so.

Although the 720 is no longer made its rough equivalent is another Amish made lantern called the Lightning Bug formerly known as the HC 500c lantern by HC Lanterns also of Paradise Pennsylvania . The Lightning Bug looks a lot like the Nite Hawk 701 but like the 720 it has dual 500cp burners. Its last cost was $318 and like the Nite Hawk its possible for anyone in the US to buy direct from HC Lanterns , orders are taken over the phone or one can order by snail mail. Domestically they ship UPS. Also one hobbyist sells the Lightning Bug at Coleman Collectors Forum. The LB is archived in the gallery here for more information.

Both lanterns are occasionally sold by PitmanMarine on ebay but I don't know if the the ebayer ships internationally.

Also its possible to call Lancaster Lanterns and HC Lanterns on the phone , numbers are on the internet and talk to them directly if you have any questions.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  15. Hanzo

I had a short conversation with Mel King the owner of Lancaster Lanterns and the producer of the Nite Hawk 701 . He said the future of the production of the NH is right now up in the air and that a decision to proceed with production of the lantern would be made in the Spring. He regretted the fact that production costs of the lantern have increased and that would mean an increase in the retail cost of the lantern to buyers . He said he felt that could dim interest in the lantern imperiling future production runs.

He is very interested in hearing customer feedback on the lantern and what interest there is in the NH 701 from lantern collectors in Europe , Asia etc. If you are interested in the Nite Hawk 701 Mel said he'd like to hear from you. Email is Mel @ Lancaster Lanterns .com .

16. Albrecht Italy

Hallo Hanzo,

the problem is, that the Amish do not publish anything about these fantastic lamps so nobody knows about them. People would pay what they need to get when they would get the possibility to know about their existence....If it is not allowed for them they should have somebody who makes Publicity for the company. this is the key problem.... I will write an email to Mel, thank you so much for the information. best, Albrecht

17. Hanzo

Here's a nice if older video of Lancaster Lanterns and the Nite Hawk 720 , which the NH 701 replaced. The man in the video maybe Mel King's father. In America ,the Amish are admired for the quality of their work and shop production. American's feel Amish products represent simple genuine quality .

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  18. Albrecht Italy

Des I know this video, there are existing 4 videos about the amish made Alterns, not more ... I would love to find one lamp. What a pitty that I do not live in this area. .... but I bought two of the new "Lightning Bugs laterns" - Will they produse them in the future?

19. Albrecht Italy

ps: the e mail address does not work - why is it soooo difficult ? :-))

20. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Did you remove all spaces in the email address?
    They were most certainly placed there to prevent spam bots to pick up the address.
    If you just copied it as it is written here, it won't work.

21. Hanzo

Albrecht

I think Carlsson is right about the address, if it still doesn't work let me know.

The Lightning Bug is produced by the other Amish Lighting business , HC Lanterns, also of Paradise. Its been in production for years with different founts , the large steel fount was added in 2017 . Production of this lantern as well as a lamp very similar to the lantern is ongoing . The name " The Lightning Bug " is a new invention of the owner in 2018, before it was known as the HC 500. It looks very similar to the Nite Hawk but has dual 500cp burners for 2 400-500cp mantles. Its quite a nice lantern, you'll enjoy lighting it.

HC Lantern 500-810

22. Albrecht Italy

yes I did - not working....

23. Albrecht Italy

do they have a fax number?

24. Hanzo

:oops: Hang in there Albrecht , I'll call LL tomorrow and get the definitive email address.

25. Albrecht Italy

Thank you so much .... hard work ... :-))

26. george

george United States Subscriber

Last I heard Pitman Marine does not ship internationally.:(

27. Hanzo

28. Albrecht Italy

Thank you Hanzo, I wrote to him already :-) and.... there must exist a Nite Hawk 701 still ... for me. That would be soooo good. :-)

29. Hanzo

Albrecht

Lancaster Lanterns told me a decision to produce more Nite Hawks would be made in the Spring. They would like feedback from prospective buyers to gauge interest in the lantern. The NH always has had small production runs of I think a dozen lanterns at a time so I would think if only a small group of people voiced interest in or signed up for a NH it would probably mean Lancaster Lanterns would make more. Then you would have one or probably two :lol: for sure.

30. Albrecht Italy

Hello Hanzo,
    this is good news! I will write an email to Mel to confirm, that I would take two of them whenever they will have produced some. I hope they will not do strong modifications in order to save money for the costs of loosing quality.... I also wrote to Mel yesterday that it would be good to produce also an reflector for the lamp and maybe they could do a kind of limited editions, each of the lanterns with its number marked on the tank base .... let's hope the best, thank you for your support Hanzo, Hugs from Albrecht