Economy Gas Machine Co. P66 type

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Mackburner, May 9, 2018.

1. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Economy_Gas_Rochester_08.jpg Economy_Gas_Rochester_06.jpg Economy_Gas_Rochester_09.jpg Economy_Gas_Rochester_10.jpg Economy_Gas_Rochester_05.jpg
    This is an Economy P66 type lamp from about the WW1 period. I don't know if Economy actually made it but I suspect not because it has a pretty standard Washington type burner head and the rest looks much like AGM lamps of the period. It had been electrified, the inner fuel tube removed and the lower valve drilled through. It was missing the pricker, mantle tube and upper valve. I spent a day with Stu in his workshop and we fitted a new inner 10mm steel tube to lock the base plate to the top of the handle and fitted a small bore copper fuel pick up pipe to the lower valve. Stu made a new mantle tube. I made a new upper valve wheel and fitted a new pricker. And finally it lives. Running here with a Humphrey gas globe and a Coleman 21 mantle. It is very loud but pretty bright.

We forgot to take images of the new parts before they were solder sealed in place but this is what we started with. ::Neil::

Economy_Gas_Rochester_01.jpg Economy_Gas_Rochester_04.jpg Economy_Gas_Rochester_02.jpg Economy_Gas_Rochester_03.jpg

2. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Fantastic work boys.

3. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well saved!:thumbup::clap::clap::thumbup:

5. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Fine work.

Henry.

6. toad of the cape

Yes,, very well saved,not seen anything like your lamp down here in NZ. I'll keep looking though.

regards toad

7. Mackburner

I don't suppose very many of this type were exported. There are quite a few different brands but I suspect only two manufacturers of the burner heads. Most were I suspect made by or under license from AG Kaufmann. Adolf bought the entire Washington Lamp company in about 1908-09 which included the rights to all the lighting patents. My guess is that since Kaufmann only made kero lamps he was happy to flog off the rights to make this burner.

8. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Mackburner

Another interesting lamp and a wonderful restoration.

I assume Stu is the loco7lamp Stu. I miss his posts on this forum, please remember me to him and pass on my best wishes.

9. Mackburner

Yes that's Stu. He has what I lack which is a machine shop and some experience with the tools. I did workshop theory many years ago as part of my production engineering ONC but we never did any practical work so I know what can be done but lack the equipment.

OK here are all the lamps of this P66 type I have so far identified. I have no doubt there are more but it gives you some idea of how similar they all are. All are catalogue images except for the Economy. ::Neil::

!!P66_types.jpg

10. Michel

Michel Subscriber

Nice lamp and work

11. Mackburner

I have just realised I missed one from the above image. I am currently trying to fettle an Albert Lea Gas Light Co lamp which is near identical to the Economy except it lacks the lower control and has a rocker and chain shut off vave. More on this lamp in another post but here is a revised P66 type image. ::Neil::

!!P66_types.jpg