Where to buy the best fuel for a Tilley lamp? UK based

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Roscoe, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Roscoe United Kingdom

Hi,

Bought a Tilley lamp as a gift, was wondering which is the best place to buy fuel for it? Also which is the best fuel for it?

Thanks,
    Ross

2. Rangie

Rangie United Kingdom Subscriber

C1 Paraffin, extra Low Sulphur if possible.
    Hardware Shops, Garages, Fuel Suppliers, Online Suppliers, Amazon, Ebay.

My preference is the Caldo Fuels Pre-Pack stuff, no odour and burns excellent, i've used it since Pink Paraffin/Esso Blue stocks ran out about 20 years ago. With other suppliers C1 I have had mixed results with respect to odour/colour/soot (Barretine can be smelly/give headaches, Bartoline seems OK but haven't used it in quantity, ditto Smith & Allen).

Some Advocate C2 heating oil but my local supplier's stuff chokes vapourisers. Its fine in stoves but in pressure lamps I've had difficulty/blockages using it in Tilleys (X246, R55, R1), Primus (1001, 1014, 1020) & Optimus (500cp) Lamps. I've tried to sweeten it with 20% Naptha (aka "Amish Mix"), although it gives a slightly brighter light and a faster warm-up time in really cold conditions it still required regular pricking and attention approx every 20 mins. I swapped back to C1 and haven't looked back!

Caveat Emptor,
    Alec.

3. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@Rangie As one of those who, in the past, has advocated the use of C2 heating oil, I find your experience with C2 heating oil interesting.
    It seems that not all C2 fuels are the same, I've been using it for years now and other than in a couple of early American kero lanterns and a British made Thermidor (cured by the addition of 20% naptha), I've had no bother at all. True, there is a bit of odour but neither of us find it offensive and an open fireplace helps with the influx of fresh air so no sore eyes / headaches.

Through the longer and colder nights of the year a Tilley TL10 and R1 see regular use with none of the troubles you experience. A full tank (1.5 pints) and between 80 and 100 pumps will see them burn for a good 6 hours without attention. Both vapourisers are of the earlier type with brass end and have been disassembled and thoroughly cleaned once! The one on the R1 is now well on its way to 1000 hrs and is still going strong.

Perhaps, rather than advocate the use of C2, I should, in the future, merely suggest it as an alternative.