Tilley SDR type 2

Discussion in 'SDR' started by Mackburner, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

I have called this type 2 because for years we only knew of the one which is the Pork Pie so that is number one in my mind although that may not be the correct sequence. Now I am not sure where this one fits. I have not made up my mind if it comes before the Pork Pie type or after. I suspect before because the gallery and hood arangement are more complex with six bolts in there instead of the three in the Pork Pie. You might suppose that making the job simpler is a developement and that the three bolt gallery is therefore later. Not sure. Whatever this is not a common lamp although I think maybe half a dozen have turned up in the last couple of years. ::Neil::

1286385667-Til_SDR_type_2.jpg

1286385684-Til_SDR_type_2_01.jpg 1286385703-Til_SDR_type_2_02.jpg 1286386059-Til_SDR_type_2_03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I think it's high-time one turned up here in Great Lumley... =P~ [-o<

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  3. Claus C

Gratz on this fine rare lamp Neil :thumbup: . It looks very complete, undamaged and glossy.
    Did this one show up in UK (Great Lumley)?

I can find no logical thread in the types.

Tilley S.D.R. NOS

None of the lamps has the same pumpcollar despite 3 screws on the Hood or not, nor despite the tanks shape.
    Yours ex. dont have the "ears" on the pumpcollar as mine does and as the grey one from ´Holland Waterservice.
    The grey one has the "ears" but not 6 screws on top of the Hood.
    Those with 3 screws on top of the Hood normally has the porkypie-tank, but the grey has a "modern" tank.
    As said I can see no red thread through these and a display with all the types with a guide would be very interesting to see.

Claus C

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019
  4. David Shouksmith

[-X Now, now, Claus - stop being a naughty boy trying to wind me up! You know I haven't got one and I know you've got half a dozen to spare... ;) :lol:

Now wouldn't it just, eh... :lol:

5. Claus C

:?: :?: David :?: :?:
    Is it because you also need one in Black?. This is yours innit? Some people cant get enough :-({|= ;)

http://0flo.com/index.php?posts/45616

About the display, then I remembered Neils post here where a display was mentioned, but I might have got it wrong:

http://0flo.com/index.php?posts/7988

Claus C

6. David Shouksmith

7. Matty

That's what he said.

8. Mackburner

OK here are all four SDR types. The one on the left is not mine but the other three are. ::Neil::

1447596807-Til_SDR_three_plus_prototype.jpg

9. Claus C

Thanks for this nice line-up Neil :thumbup:

The thing anoying to me is the Hood and the pump. In this line up Tilley should go from a 3-nut-hood to a 6-nut-hood and then back to a 3-nut-hood.
    Also the pump-thing is the pump with ears show up on the youngest lamp with 3-nut-hood, but on my NOS and the other 3 NOS-lamps there is a pump with ears and a 6-nut-hood.

If your dating is app correct, then these NOS-lamps should be made between 1953 and 1957, as yet another type :?: As seen here:

Tilley S.D.R. NOS

Sorry if it all sounds a bit nerdy :lol:

Claus C

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019
  10. David Shouksmith

Four :doh: ](*,)

11. Claus C

Yes me too David, but what I would like to know is what differentiate the types from each others?
    Is it then the way they are build? or by documents?

Claus C

12. David Shouksmith

Well Neil will be best qualified to answer that one but they appear to be a prototype and three production models. Since I can't seem to get a black, round-tanked model for either love or money, I'll not hold my breath for a prototype... :(

:-k Did Tilley cease production in c.1953 and then manufacture a further batch in c.1957 for the Dutch Waterways?

13. Mackburner

The tanks are all different which is what makes them separate models. Dating is therefore from the tank types not the fittings. The left or prototype has a seperate filler cap which makes it a unique pork pie tank. The other pork pie has the correct pump type for all of these tanbks. Black round shoulder is not marked which makes it after pork pie but before the grey one which is stamped on the tank with "Tilley-owl logo-England which makes that one after 1954 and before Oct 1956.

I tend not to take much notice of fittings such as pumps because they can be changed between types. The ONLY possibility of an incorrect date is the black round shoulder type. That could also be from before the pork pies types because that tank shape was made from the early 1930s to 1945. However I don't believe it is that old because it has a self locating cock and that is a post WW2 innovation and therefore it has to be post 1950 but before Tilley started to mark the tanks which was sometime in 1954. The Dutch grey type has to be from 1954 to 1957. Tank is stamped but is still the old profile. In 1957 the bottom flange was changed to include a groove so the date for that is quite tight. Given there can only be about 12 years from first to last I might be a year or two out on each type but that is all and I believe the sequence is correct. ::Neil::

14. Claus C

Thank you Neil for your work and for sorting it out. :thumbup:

My one is without the owl and therefore a 1950-53.

It was good quality they made back then - it still looks brandnew ;)

Claus C

15. M.Meijer

While I understand the theory that products are developed to produce them at lesser cost, the assumption that a 3-bolt cap is a later development than the 6-bolt variety is not necessarily correct.
    It could also be that experience told Tilley to reinforce the construction with 3 more bolts, perhaps to reduce or eliminate warping?

When Nikon introduced the famous 'F' camera in 1959, together with some lenses in the new 'F'- mount, the astounding and heavy 8,5 ~ 25 cm zoomlens was soon provided with 2 screws extra to fortify the bajonet mount.

16. Mackburner

You are of course quite correct but since the hoods are interchangeable deciding a chronological sequence of the lanterns from that part alone is not conclusive. Since these lanterns are pretty rare it is perhaps less likely that parts were changed between types BUT I suspect that most of these were probably sold in batches to customers who used a standard lantern type for some time and it may well be that hoods did get swapped during maintenance sessions. In any case the hood type is irrelevant since the tank determines the dating sequence. ::Neil::

17. MG

MG United Kingdom Subscriber

I just missed one of these today for £20! :roll:

18. Nicola Francesco Elia

Nicola Francesco Elia Subscriber

MG don't worry, take 125 frops of xanax 8 times per day, 4 pills of prozac every 12h and 1 or 2 pills of lexotan every time you think about it... do this for at least a month and everything will be all right :-)